• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 - Batch function will not save files

Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have used the "Automate/Batch" function well over a hundred times, so this situation (first time using it in CS6) is VERY frustrating!

Running Adobe CS6 extended v. 13.0.1 x32 on a Win XP sp3 OS.

I have a slew of photos that need nothing done except to resize from the native file size to 6 in x 4 in @ 150 ppi and save into a new folder (to not override the original).  I have recorded the action multiple times now and each time I run the action, the files do not save! Here are the various parameters I've used:

Attempt #1:

Action Steps Recorded -

• Open
    • Save for web (set size parameters here)
    • Close

Batch settings -

• Play Set: correct folder selected; Action: correct action selected
    • Source: folder - selected folder where native files are located (on desktop)
    • NO checkmarks next to any options
    • Destination: folder - selected folder where small files should be saved (on desktop)
    • NO checkmark on override action
    • Did not change file naming parameters

Result #1 - DID NOT SAVE FILES

Attempt #2:

Action Steps Recorded -

• Open
    • Close

Batch settings -

• Cehckmark override Action "Open" commands
    • Destination: folder - selected folder where small files should be saved (on desktop)

Result #2 - DID NOT SAVE FILES

Attempt #3:

Action Steps Recorded -

• Open
    • Close

Batch settings -

• Checkmark override action "Open" commands
    • Checkmark override action "Save As" commands

Result #3- DID NOT SAVE FILES

Attempt #4:

Action Steps Recorded -

• Open
    • Image Size (set parameters here)
    • Save as (set folder location here)
    • Close

Batch settings -

• Checkmark override Action "Open" commands

Result #4- DID NOT SAVE FILES

Attempt #5:

Action Steps Recorded -

• Open
    • Image Size (set parameters here)
    • Save as (set folder location here)
    • Close

Batch settings - 

• Checkmark override action "Open" commands
    • Checkmark override action "Save As" commands

Result #5- DID NOT SAVE FILES

Please help!  This has never been a problem before CS6 and I truly am at my wits end trying to figure out why the files will not save.  I have several hundred files that I need to run this on, so doing it individually is not an option.

Thanks in advance for any and all insights!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have  you tried running your action using the Image Processor script as the host for opening and saving files?

File - Scripts - Image Processor.

Russell Brown has provided an even more sophisticated version called Image Processor Pro that can be downloaded.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I haven't.  I'm not opposed to changing my methodology, but this will mean a learning curve for me and I still don't understand why the Automate/Batch functionality isn't working as it always has.

Briefly, what do I need to know to use the Image Processor script?

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just run it - it's pretty self-explanatory.

I wouldn't give up on trying to find the root cause of the problem, but Image Processor (Pro) can make things a bit easier to set up, and it would be interesting to know if whatever problem you're experiencing manifests there as well.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Noel.  I ran this and it seems to have worked.  Only downside is I could only change the overall image width/height, not the ppi.  I'll live with it for now.

As long as I didn't try to run the action set through Image Processor, it worked fine.  Seems that the problem is more with the action steps than the Batch processor. 

I'll have to see what I can determine, but at least the immediate project has been completed!

Thanks again!

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's really late to join this thread, but I recently had the same problem with Automate > Batch. I found unchecking "Override Action "Save As" Commands in the Batch dialogue box fixed the problem. I don't know if you tried this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with Automating > Batch as well. Strange enough, I did a batch of other photos and it worked fine. Selecting a new set of folders is not working at all; the files simply pop open and then close but the destination folder remains empty. It also doesn't appear the actions are occuring since I don't see them highlighting as the automation runs. I have no idea why it would work then not. BTW, "Override Action "Save As" is unchecked.

~CG

UPDATE: I put a "save as" command at the beginning of the action, then checked the "Override Action "Save As" box and it somehow works now, but not before stalling on an image (normally the last in the folder) and complaining that the image was being used in another program. The only other program opened was Bridge so I'm unsure why it had a problem. I closed both programs and ran the automation with nothing else opened and it worked ... ?? Confused, but not complaining (for now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes - I agree with you. I've never had problems with batch processing before. And to say "well, do it another way" does not resolve the issue. In addition. I have a bunch of Illustrator files that I wish to convert to png files, and that process will not work with these file formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image processor works but it doesn't let you change image resolution, and if you create an Action to change image resolution and run that through Image Processor, that doesn't work either. Come on Adobe you bunch of jokers, sort it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 4.58.51 PM.pngI have tried everything I can think of to get this to work.  It will open all the files before it tries to run the action, which crashes my computer.  Then I divided all the files up into groups of 40.  It will open all 40 files now, but not run the action, I have to click play for each one.  This is very frustrating because I have over 700 files that have to be done by tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Hmmm, a preference reset may be in order:

Manually; safe, can be undone:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/how-to-reset-photoshop-cs6s-prefe...

Quick; cannot be undone:

Win: Press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift immediately after initiating Photoshop's startup. A box will appear asking if you want to continue with the reset, select "yes." If you don't see this, you weren't fast enough...Try again.

Mac: Press and hold Cmd+Opt+Shift then start Photoshop. A box will appear, asking if you want to continue with the reset, select "yes."

P.S. It is best to start a new discussion when the problem is unrelated, as not to hijack the OP's thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLease post a screen shot of the Batch script‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted an image of the steps I have done in the action. I don't know how

to post a script pic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Open Batch and set it as you ussually do, then take a screen shot of the window..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2016 May 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok guys, Here's what I discovered.....

I too was having the Automate problem going to a 15% reduction. I realized that in creating the Action, I was doing a "save as" at the end of the Action. So, by checking the box "Override Action save as commands" NOT UNCHECKING it, I got the action to perform.

So basically, if you added "save as" to your action, then you need to have the box "checked".

Have fun!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey I have realized that what you say doesnt work for the "save for web". I would like the action to override save for web, so i can specify the destination folder. (it is different for each batch in my case.) but it just saves them in the folder that is written in the action. I wonder if this is a bug in photoshop or I'm doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carl this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue is/may be relating back to another glitch that stil hasn't been resolved by Adobe, where you cannot "Save As.." over an existing png or jpg file, and it instead save it as a "copy". 

I was having the same Automate Batch problem whetre all I wanted to do was save my psd files as png files. So my action was File> Quick Export as PNG > Save  and nothing would happen. I tried unchecking and checking that "Override" preference everyone was talking about but it made no difference. 

The only way I got Automate Batch to work was go to File > Save As > select png  and that worked.The only drawback was the file sizes are a lot bigger than the first method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines