• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

console not working after CF 10 install

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed CF 10 and the console in CF Builder 2 no longer seems to work? Both products are fully up to date and I have the same issue on 3 separate dev machines.  All else, works fine.  Did somethin change with CF 10? A complete frsh re-install of CF Builder does not help either... I am on Win7 Pro, 64b and 32b... same issue.

Upon starting CF Builder, the localhost Server console will say this:

[localhost]:(12/10 at 01:53:40) Server is available. Getting server settings.

but that's it. Nothing after that. Stopping and restarting CF from within Builder does not fix this?

Also, I read on a blog re: CF 10 "beta" that you no longer need to set the CF service to manual in order to get the full effect of the console, etc. in CF Builder. Is this the case and the proper way to handle this now?

Andy

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andy,

What version of CFBuilder are you running?  Have you installed 2.0.1 (which added CodFusion 10 support)?

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carl - thx.  Yes, I am running the very latest, fully patched versions of both CF-10 and CB-2.

Most recently, I even downloaded the latest from adobe.com this morning, wiped the previous CB 2.0.1 install clean from my PC and re-installed the freshly downloaded copy to no avail.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one else has this issue? 3 different DEV machines with same issue, so I *must* be miossing some sort of setting or something....???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TBH, I'm not sure I've ever used the console in CF Builder.  Is there a simple test or workflow I can try to see if I can replicate the problem?  On my development computer, ColdFusion runs as a Windows service and starts automatically.  I don't know if this impacts the console or not.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carl - I believe that in order for the Console to work in CFB, CF needs to be started _from_ CFB - at least this was a requirement for CF9. So you could set CF9 to "manual" in your windows service and then setup CFB to start and stop CF9 automatically. Alternatively you could keep it running in your services, but once starting CFB you would restart the server inorder to get the console to work properly.

I read somewhere that CF10 no longer required this extra step (i.e. insisting that CFB actually start CF in order for the console, etc. to wrok) but that was in a blog re: the BETA of CF10 and frankly, not being able to get it to work at all now leaves me unable to test this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, here’s a thought: you don’t make it clear in your original post, but have you edited the “server” definition (for that being shown in the console message you’re observing) to change it to indicate that the server is CF10?

When you right-click a server (in the Servers view), and choose “edit server”, the “application server” drop-down has a new value (only in CFBuilder 2.0.1, mind you) to point to “CF+Tomcat Bundle”. You’ll want to make sure the server, port and username/passwords are all correct for the new CF10 instance as well. Similarly, click the “next” button to configure the server home and docroot.

Sometimes people are stumped by this server configuration (either they miss it, or don’t feel there’s enough info on the screens). For more, see either the docs:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/2.0/Using/WS0ef8c004658c1089-38317734121cdfd5fd3-8000.html

Or these older blog entries, which while focused on remote config, may still interest some regarding server setup:

http://blogs.adobe.com/cfbuilder/2009/07/remote_server_setup_is_it_real.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/cfbuilder/2009/07/remote_server_setup_-_multiser.html

Let us know if these help.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charlie. I do have all of that setup properly:

Server Name: localhost

App Svr: CF+Tomcat Bundle

Host Name: 127.0.0.1

Is Local

WebServer Port: 80

J2EE Settings: blank

RDS: proper name/pwd
Auto Start/Stop: checked - and it *does* start/stop the server, which I have set to manual in my Windows Services.

Server Home: C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion

Doc Root: C:\inetpub\wwwroot

Version: 10.0

URL Prefix and V Hosts tabs left untouched.

Now these are all identical to what I had when using CF 9, except for the obvious CF10- references.  Indeed, when I star up CFB, the console will show this (and ONLY this ever after):

[localhost]:(12/12 at 10:12:38) Server is available. Getting server settings.

Prior - with CF 9 - there was a lot more info in the console just from the CF startup and/or restart of the server than that one line. Additionally, all of my logging in my applications worked as well.

I am stumped!

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Andy, is it that you ARE or are NOT having CF start from within CFB, when you are expecting to see this extra info?

More important, do all the server-based features work as expected, even if you do not see any additional messages as you saw before?

Just trying to understand whether this is something “not working” or just “different from before”.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

I am starting CF10 from CFB - same as I did with CF9. The ONLY difference is that I have changed the requisite server settings (referenced above) from the CF9 to the proper CF10 settings.

Indeed, with these settings, CF10 is set to "manual" and stopped in my Win services and properly starts up and becomes fully functioning and avaialble once CFB starts up.

The only function - as far as I can tell anyways - that is not working is the console. Everything else that I used to do in both CFB anbd CF9 seem to function as before.

When I initally start up CFB, the "localhost Server console" will say:

[localhost]:(12/12 at 12:42:22) Server is available. Getting server settings.

but after that it never gets written to again, unless I restart the server from within CFB, in which case it will just echo the same single line from above once it has restarted.

Now in CF9 the startup AND shutdown logging in the console was MUCH more verbose, so perhaps that has changed, but even so, none of my apps can log to the console as before.

Let me ask - when anyone else starts/stops CF10 from within CFB, do you get more than just the line I listed above?

One other small quirk is that CFB also now seems to default to the "Scripting Console" rather than the "localhost Server console". But that is trivial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I am pretty sure this is a CF-10/CFB bug. I can see that my apps are properly logging to the coldfusion-out.log file but that file is not being displayed in the CFB Console.

Is anyone using the CFB Console and CF-10 and getting them to work properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gotta say I don't use it as it's never had any useful information sent to it: it basically just seems to report when CFB has cocked-up doing something that should be easy for it ("Error retrieving server settings" and the results of passed MXUnit tests (whether I wanted them to appear in the console or not, which Marc Esher has since fixed).

Then again I'm one of these developers who minimise the amount of clutter the text editor offers, preferring to have basically a bit white area to type in, and that's it. So I don't use many of the bells and whistles CFB offers to add clutter to the screen 😉

But if what you're wanting to see is the log files, would you not be wanting to use the Tail view for that?

What other stuff are you hoping to see here?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam. You are correct, on it's own nothing much gets outputted there.  But think of it as the same as the console in Chrome or Firebug when doing javascript dev. For front-end js dev, it's common to insert something like console.log('event A fired'), etc. to aid in js debugging/testing your front end js code.  Using something like the Console Log Appender in Coldbox's Logbox, one can do the same thing for your back-end CFML code with a simple/similar line of code: e.g. log.info('method A fired') and have it displayed in the console as the page request is running in your browser.

Additionally, all of your CFML error messages can be logged there too, allowing you test error-handling, etc.  Thos are simple examples, but you can dump variables in various states, time code execution, use AOP advices, etc.

I have found the debugger built in to CFB to be somewhat wonky, but the simplicity of the Console displaying all of your back-end code running in a window side-by-side with your browser displaying the frint-end request is a really nice feature and a hard one to give up once you've become used to using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Adam, I have not relied upon the console as you do, but here’s a thought: is it possible that you configured the server settings to indicate that you wanted CF to be started using the Windows service? If so, then I suppose there would be no “console log”, even if you started CF within CFB.

Indeed, the fact that you see your desired log entries in the coldfusion-out.log suggests this is the case. The –out.log has been the traditional place where CF, if started as a service, has written its “console” logs (even without respect to the notion within CFB).

If that’s the situation, then you could either switch it to starting “not” as a service, or you could (as Adam proposed) watch the out log in the tailview. Let us know if that clarifies things, or if I am mistaken in my guess above.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie. Thanks, but unfortunately, you are "mistaken in your guess above"!

I keep the CF Windows service stopped and set to manual and I have the server setup to autostart and autostop CF - which it does just fine.  I do NOT have it set up to use Windows Service to start/stop the CF server.

So it sounds like I'm the only guy out there using the Console, eh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. And all of that stuff can be achieved using the Tail View.  At the end of the day, all the Console View is doing is tailing the stdout log. Which one can do with the view specifically designed to do this.

Now I'm not saying the console should not also work properly, but if you want to just crack on with some productivity, there's a work-around for you there.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam... yes, that is what I am doing now - now that I know which log file to tail! I have always been hesitant to specifically tail log files (unless necessary) because I heard there were terrible performance issues when doing so (something about threading and reading/writing to/from the log file?)

Also, I did not recall there being a "-out.log" file in CF-9 and was under the assumption that CFB received the console data from the CF server directly, rather than reading the file from disk and therefore was not susceptible to the performance issues involved with tailing files (otherwise why would they separate these features?)

Nevertheless, I can see the log by tailing it now, but shall also file a bug as it appears the Console no longer is working asit should (some others inthe Coldbox Google Group have confirmed the same...)

To all who chimed in, thanks for all of your help!

Andy

I logged a bug here:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3430592

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Andy, here are a few thoughts on that. First, as for CFB not showing any output to the console when it seems it should, it does seems you and the others have found a bug. Hope it will be attended to.

Second, the –out.log, if it was there in CF9, would have instead been in \runtime\logs rather than the traditional CF logs directory (\logs, or in \logs if running multiserver, rather than in the logs for the instance deep within the instance directory.) This is indeed a difference from CF10, where that log is now written in the standards logs directory \cfusion\logs (or \[instance]\logs).

Finally, as for tailing it, and the performance problems with doing that in the past, I really seem to recall that was something fixed in a hotfix. I just tried to find it, whether an HF to CFB 1 or CFB 2, but could not find it. Anyway, for those on an older build and/or who do still have issues using it, there was a blog entry from one of the engineers that offered help to make it work better: http://www.rupeshk.org/blog/index.php/tag/performance-tailview/

Hope that helps.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie - yes, you are correct on the  location of the CF-9 "-out.log" file. I also read Rupesh's blog post and noticed that the default settings in CFB now reflect those suggested in his post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did anybody know a workaround for this, I have exactly the same problem as Andy. I used to log the hibernate generated SQL into the console. That was very helpful. I desperately need it now to check the SQL generated by the hibernate criteriabuilder.

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Daniel. Unfortunately no, the only workaround is to tail the specific log file(s) that you need to see as desribed above.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation