• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable protected mode at startup using customisation wizard?

Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using adobe reader XI. I would like to customise the installation such that "protected mode at startup" feature is turned off. Currently, i am using GPO from server to client.

i have tried using the following methods below but to no avail. Please advise.

Creating key into 'Destination Computer' registry using adobe customisation wizard.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Privileged]

"bProtectedMode"=dword:00000000

And tried this also,

HKLM\Software\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\FeatureLockDown\bProtectedMode with a value of 0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Reader XI, instead of "10.0" in those registry locations, use "11.0".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not mind about the 10.0 as i copied this solution from other post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, then what you are doing is sufficient to turn off Protected Mode in Reader XI.

Can you please make sure it's Protected _Mode_ that remains enabled and not Protected _View_ (the latter is a new security sandbox in Reader XI); how are you testing to check if Protected Mode is ON?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a desktop to test to check whether if the protected mode is off.

The protected view is off all along which is fine. But i would like to turn off Protected Mode too.

The methods i tried above does not work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Was the key properly made using customization wizard? Please verify in the user's computer that actually key is made. May be the issue lies in customization wizard to make the key.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\11.0\Privileged]

Thanks,

Shakti K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As shown below is the customization wizard. i wonder if it is correct.

The user's computer did not have the key made.

bProtectedMode.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exactly the same problem here! The key is set for the user in whose context Adobe Reader is installed, but not for other users that log on for the first time.

Strange enough, other preferences I specified in CustWiz are applied to all users as default, i.e. in HKCU\...\11.0\IPM\  I set bDontShowMsgWhenViewingDoc=1 and bShowMsgAtLaunch=0, and these work as they should, for all users that log on.

What might work is putting bProtectedMode=0 under HKLM\Software\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Reader\11.0\FeatureLockDown, but this completely disables the option. I would like to give users the option to turn it back on, if need be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2013 Mar 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Winderium,

I was having the same problem and I corrected it by (1) deploying a customized install of adobe reader via a "computer based" GPO, and then (2) disabling protected mode via a "user based" GPO with the key below.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\11.0\Privileged]

Note: The reader deployment was "computer based" and linked to a computer OU, and the reg key change was "user based" and linked to a user OU.  See pic.

Untitled.jpg

After further thought, I think the reason why the Customized Install utility didn't drop that key in during install is probably because your GPO is computer based (I'm assuming) and the registry key is user based.  When the GPO runs and the app is deployed, it happens before the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen comes up, so the computer based changes are made (i.e. the reader is installed), but the user based changes never have a chance to be implemented.  Even though I haven't tested this with Adobe Reader, I've run into this type of issue with a GPO deployement before.

If you really wanted to have the Customized install do "everything" for you, I believe the solution would be to create a Custom package and link the install to a "User based" GPO and link the GPO to a "User OU" in your Active Directory.  Then the software would install on a per user bases after the user log's in and the Key would also be created.

Personally I don't like to do this with Adobe Reader since I want all of my machines to have the software, so I create a "Computer based" GPO.  But, if you're willing to test and create an all "User based" GPO deployement, I'd be curious to hear if this approach works for you.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your hint. This absolutely make sense!

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - Running Adobe Reader V 11.0.0

I upgraded the Win 7 on PC from Home Prem to Pro and my Adobe Reader hangs and uses CPU anything I do past opening the first screen EVERY TIME. If I hit print, the print screen comes up and it hung there. If I go to Edit/Preferences, that screen comes up, but I am hung there - can't hit "general" to try adjusting settings others have mentioned. I have tried most or all of the Reg settings that helped folks, but none helped me. Got the welcome message turned of - didn't help. Made changes at HKLM and HKCU levels, but I am still having the issue. Also - for only opening one document, I always have two AcroRd32.exe in my task manager, although ending one "sometimes" ends them both.  Sometimes I also have AdobeRAM.exe.

Please advise.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines