• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to get the new camera raw 7.2 update?

Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most of our company computers are offline.

so how do we get the new camera raw 7.2 update?

until now they were always released as manual downloads.... now i have to read this from adobes blog:

Camera Raw 7.2 – Please use the update mechanism in Photoshop CS6

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

does that mean there will be no manual update anymore or is it not up yet?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about using one of the computers that is connected to the Internet, downloading the update file and putting it onto a memory stick. Then pass that to all the users not connected to the Internet?

Anthony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anthony.Ralph wrote:

How about using one of the computers that is connected to the Internet, downloading the update file and putting it onto a memory stick. Then pass that to all the users not connected to the Internet?

please read my posting again.

that is exactly how we have done it in the past..

but.... how can i download a file that does not exist on adobe servers?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

there is no manual update file for ACR 7.2 we could download. 

i hope the manual update is just not on the server YET.... otherwise i don´t know why adobe is not releasing this as manual update anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR 7.2 has not been released by Adobe, that's why you don't find it at the normal location.  ACR 7.2 Release Candidate is available from Adobe Labs.  Release Candidates are early releases so user can check it out and report errors to Adobe for correction before the production release.  It was available from Adobe Labs on August 27, 2012.  Go to

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads

Then click on Photoshop Camera RAW 7.2 under Digital Imaging.  You can install this the regular way and use it until the Production Release is available, which will just replace the Release Candidate when you install it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well as you can read in the ADOBE BLOG (the link i have posted)  the FINAL is available through the CS6 online update.

Camera Raw 7.2 and DNG Converter 7.2 Now Available

Camera Raw 7.2 is now available as a final release through the update mechanism in Photoshop CS6. The goal of this release is to provide additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Camera Raw. Customers of previous versions of Photoshop can utilize DNG Converter 7.2 for raw file support for newly added cameras.

RC version is 7.2.0.32

the current version i got today via online update is 7.2.0.46

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try...

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5486&fileID=5506 This is the Windows version, but I am sure the Mac version is close by (if you need it).

Anthony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just noticed that i can grab the online updater file from the "AAMUpdater/1.0/installer" directory as long as the update process is not finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done. I have just tried to update my previous message, but the editing attempt was stamped on by the forum software. Heigh ho.

Anthony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hamada2003, we haven't been releasing just plugin for 'manual' drag and drop installation for a while. But we have been posting the auto-installer on adobe.com in the past which requires internet access. For the 7.2 final release it is currently only available via CS6 or Elements11 "automated updater". Launch one of the product and  go to  "help-update" to get ACR 7.2 final release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle Qi schrieb:

Hi Hamada2003, we haven't been releasing just plugin for 'manual' drag and drop installation for a while. But we have been posting the auto-installer on adobe.com in the past which requires internet access. For the 7.2 final release it is currently only available via CS6 or Elements11 "automated updater". Launch one of the product and  go to  "help-update" to get ACR 7.2 final release.

well that is not what he was asking for. 
he asked for an offline installer for the updates.

his link shows pretty clear what he is asking for:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

if he has no online connection on the companys PC´s...  it will help him not much to go to "help - update".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't an acceptable solution for enterprise/education deployment, and the AAMEE updater package isn't compatible with my deployment system. Please release the 7.2 installer as it was for 7.1. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows, see:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4745971#4745971 (scroll down)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will the camera raw update be available for CS5, or is this Adobe's way of forcing us to upgrade to CS6.  I have LR4 and camera raw in CS5 now doesn't match the latest LR update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flashtales1 schrieb:

When will the camera raw update be available for CS5, or is this Adobe's way of forcing us to upgrade to CS6.  I have LR4 and camera raw in CS5 now doesn't match the latest LR update.

never.  for ACR 7.x you need CS 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, in other words, I should not have updated LR4.  Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you download ACR 6.7 you can work with LR4 and Photoshop quite well - although there are some slight limitations. Check it out.

And although your question was meant to be rhetorical perhaps, I would answer it and say that the ugrade to LR4 - particularly the just released, free, LR4.2 is well worth while.

Anthony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therin lies the problem Anthony.  I've been on LR4 with CR 6.7 for quite some time.  With the latest update to LR4 it no longer works seamlessly as it did before.  Adobe should have notified us that there wouldn't be any further updates to CR for CS5.  I'd love to be able to update to CS6 for all of my workstations, but the expense is prohibitive.  If it was just one or even two licenses, it wouldn't be so bad, but on multiple workstations upgrading all at once is difficult for me.  Now I have to create a workaround for my CS5 systems that won't require too many steps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flashtales1 wrote:

With the latest update to LR4 it no longer works seamlessly as it did before.

Can you please describe what you mean in a little more detail?

I don't have LR but I do find Adobe's business tactics interesting.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Noel.  Prior to the newest update to LR4.2, I was able to open RAW files directly into photoshop allowing me to later save to a .tif or .psd in a folder of my own choice.  With the update to 4.2, LR now gives me a message:  This version of Lightroom may require the Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in version 7.2 for full compatibility.  Please update the Camera Raw plug-in using the update tool in the photoshop menu.  Then it gives you three choices: Render Using Lightroom, Open Anyway, or Cancel.  If you choose Render Using Lightroom it opens and saves a .tif to the parent folder the raw file resides in.  If you choose Open Anyway, it won't open the file, and Cancel ends the operation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying the problem, Flashtales1.

I think I understand why they're putting up that message, and I suspect it would have put it up if you had Camera Raw 7.1 as well...  There ARE fundamental differences in the algorithms between 6.7 / 7.0 and versions 7.1 / 7.2 - specifically in the area of Color Fringing reduction.

Adobe did a BAD thing and removed the Defringe setting (possible choices None, Highlight Edges, All Edges), and replaced it with a color range-based defringing feature that I'm sure they think is better, and offers more apparent configurability but simply doesn't work as well. 

The newer conversion algorithms in general, in 7.2 and newer, are also a fair bit slower under some conditions.

I suspect the color fringing difference is responsible for the messages you're seeing.

Frankly I find the way Adobe implemented this damned sloppy! All they would have had to do is leave the older Defringe setting in place and add the new functionality in order to maintain compatibility.  They actually *could* put it back, but honestly they seem too self-assured to admit that maybe a decision might have been wrong.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you have seen this article by Eric Chan Noel, but it does explain about the different types of fringing and why they changed the controls to a two-type arrangement...

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

Regards: Anthony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, Anthony, and yes, I have already seen that.  But I don't need the description or justification to know that it represents a step backward in image quality.  Admittedly a small one, but a step nonetheless.

Let me be direct:  The color-fringing that occurs on edges that concerns me is not addressed by the new implementation.  Specifically, the colored remnants from de-Bayering (what some call de-mosaicing) are what bother me.

My point is that the old simple Defringe setting, set to All Edges, worked very nicely to fight this common aberration.  There's a thread around here somewhere in which I visually demonstrated the differences.

Here are the important points:

• The new Defringe feature, even thyough it has more controls, simply CANNOT be configured to remove those same de-Bayering colored remnants as effectively as the old, simple Defringe: All Edges setting did.  Thus the new implementation is not a superset of the functionality of the old.

• When one tries to configure the new implementation to reduce de-Bayering color remnants - even with minimal settings - the negative side effects of the new method are much greater and more visible, making it unacceptable to be made a default setting.

• It's worth pointing out that the old Defringe feature isn't available even under the PV2010 setting. The way the new Defringe feature was implemented represents a departure from Adobe's philosophy of maintaining compatibility with old settings.

It shouldn't have been strictly necessary to remove the old Defringe feature as it was implemented to add the new implementation, which addresses an entirely different (though nearby) set of aberrations.  If necessary to avoid confusion or coding difficulties  it COULD have been renamed, though internally it could still work the same.  Or it could have been made an either/or setting.  Personally I think it would be nicest to be able to combine the two - old and new Defringe features - as needed. 

As it is, for the above reasons - and the fact that the newest versions run slower - I've dropped back to using Camera Raw 7.0, which is an acceptable workaround for me for now as I still use a camera that version understands.  But of course that's not a viable long-term strategy.  If Adobe doesn't see fit to restore this feature I've only put off the inevitable image quality degradation until Camera Raw 8 and Photoshop CS7.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have lightroom 4.2 on a windows 7 machine that only has photoshop cs5 with 6.7 camera raw (newest version of photoshop installed) and it works here.

In other words if in that message box i just click open anyway, the file opens in cs5 just as it did using previous versions of lightroom before 4.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge CS5 and Photoshop CS5 with Camera Raw 6.7 will collaborate with Lightroom 4.2 as seamlessly as they did with Lr 4.1, 4.0, or 3.7. The only limitation is, ACR 6.7 cannot edit some of the settings when Process Version 2012 was used in Lr 4.x. But it can still import the image and pass it on to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it doesn't work as seamlessly Olaf.  The file system functions different with 4.2.  Instead of opening up the raw file in photoshop, it creates a .tif or .psd file and saves it into the folder with the raw images.  This isn't how I've set up my workflow and forces me to alter my methodology. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines