• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I edit the system file Manifest.XML in Word for Windows? (there's a reason for doing this)

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I renamed a file directory containing several PDFs. Consequently, Adobe Digital Editions says these files are missing when I try to open them and look at notes I made. There seems to be an obvious solution, but I'm unfamiliar with XML and don't want to screw things up. The file locations and a lot of other information for Digital Editions is in an XML file called Manifest. If I can edit the XML file to show the correct directory, I expect I'd be able to see these files and recover my notes. I'm unsure what Word for Windows may do (e.g., add or delete characters) when I edit and save the new Manifest.  That might corrupt the Manifest and be extremely counterproductive.

Is editing the file locations in Word for Windows safe, so long as Digital Editions isn't open when I do my editing? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried Word, and would be worried about what it might do.  I would suggest that you make a backup of the manifest file in case there is a problem.

You might also want to consider a decent text editor such as Notepad++.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can confirm that Notepad++ can happily edit manifest.xml files, but as Jim_Lester says, make a backup (especially if you are not used to XML).

You may well find that if you Open the .epub files from their new location explicitly from ADE (ctrl-O) that you will both be able to read documents and see the notes.

I can't vouch for that; but if it works I'd recommend it over editing the manifest file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines