• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The importer reported a generic error" when trying to import an After Effects file into Premiere.

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently quite new to using both pieces of software - I'm trying to grab a file, either a save or an export, from After effects into Premiere. I've googled around, but I can't find anyone with a similar problem with it being an AE file.

Just looking for some advice on what to do.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From PP, go to File>Adobe Dynamic Link>Import AE Composition...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having problems. When I try and do that it just says "Failed to connect to Adobe After Effects Dynamic Link". I have the Suite version of Adobe, so I don't see why it's doing that.

Also, if I tried to right-click on a clip and replace it with an AE project, I get the same "The Importer reported a generic error" message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, something got messed up with your installation.  You may have to reinstall the suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that as well, and literally just finished the complete re-installation.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix it - I'm still getting the same error messages when trying the Dynamic Link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Next thing I'd suggest looking into are the firewall settings.  I think I recall reading where this can prevent proper DL communication.  I don't remember any specifics, but a forum search may turn up something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both programs have full access, and when I turned the Firewall off, it still had the same problem, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

I have the Student/Teacher version of the Master Suite CS6, but I'm sure that wouldn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it wouldn't.

The firewall issue may go beyond what you're tried, so do that search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I've searched around most of this forum and as much of Google as I could find - I have found similar problems, but nothing exactly the same; and none of the solutions I've found have worked for me. I've seen a lot of people having trouble connecting to the DL server on the file-selection window, but I don't even get that far - an error message just pops up in the middle of my screen - and my error doesn't mention a server, just that it can't connect to AE DL.

I changed firewall software (which I've wanted to do for months, anyway) and still to no avail.

As for the "The importer reported a generic error" problem also, I can't find any problems or solutions with After Effects files not being able to be imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to check here, both AE and PP are the same version, yes?  You're not mixing CS5 and CS6 or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I've never used any Adobe software before CS6.

The only difference in Adobe programs I can find is that half of the suite seems to have installed into Program Files (x86) and the other half just Program Files - PP and AE are both in Programe Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is because all the Adobe programs in Program Files are 64 bit applications and all programs in Program Files(x86) are 32 bit applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that shouldn't change anything then, AE and PP are both 64 bit programs in the same folder, they're not being blocked by my Firewall, and a complete re-installation didn't solve it. I'm not sure what else would be blocking these two programs from communicating with each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I think I found the problem, but I don't know how to solve it. I found the DynamicLink files in C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\Adobe\dynamiclink and in there were two shortcuts to AfterFX dynamic link and Premiere dynamic link.

When I try to use either of them, I get the same error:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe -- The specified path does not exist. Check the path, then try again."

Now, I have no idea why it's looking for the CS4 version of Premiere, and it's also looking in the complete wrong folders.

I'm not sure if Dynamic Link can be updated, or if I just need to change the path it's looking for - I'm not sure how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time for a reinstall of CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a complete reinstall yesterday when trying to solve the same problem - it didn't help at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use CleanScript?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't think so. I've never heard of that before. I'll look it up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My saved notes say CS5, but check the links to see if the process includes CS6

Clean Script http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/829/cpsid_82947.html

or http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs5clean.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I just finished the re-installation with CleanScript, and still have the same error messages popping up.

The two files that I've found are both shortcuts to the AE/PP Dynamic Links, and it says that they were last "modified" in March 2012, which I really don't understand, as like I said I've never owned an Adobe software before, especially After effects or Premiere.

Is there any way that I can change the file path the Dynamic Link is looking for ? As I said before, it's searching for AE CS4 which doesn't exist in my folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you own the disk or is this Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have it on disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Ordered from Adobe, an authorized reseller, or from a site like eBay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines