Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aggregate the results of four text-entry boxes on the same slide

Contributor ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m looking for is an advanced action/variables that can allow you to:

Aggregate the results of four text-entry boxes on the same slide (this is not a quiz slide).

4 correct entries = brings up a success caption & allows the user to advance to the next part of the course.

3 correct entries = brings up a hint caption and gives the user two options – 1) allows the user to advance 2) takes the user to a review section.

2 or less correct entries = brings up a failure caption and takes the user to a review section.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Hello,

Here is the link to the blog post:

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/aggregating-results-tebs-in-captivate

You can literally use the same advanced actions in Captivate 5. You'll have a normal Next and Review button (instead of a shape button), and perhaps you do not need the 'actor' I added. Let me know if you have issues or questions.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to report as well or only do the actions you were explaining?

Are you using the Submit button for each TEB? Can the sequence be imposed or not? If you explain that, I'll try to work out a scenario tomorrow, now it is almost midnight here.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to report, only execute the actions that were explained

Yes, the submit buttons are being used for each TEB – you could impose a sequence, but would prefer not to if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you do not want an extra button to 'check' but whatever is the last submit button should cause the actions to be executed I suppose...

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever works and is simplest to execute…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

As promised, I have a functional example. Even two versions:

• First one uses the same advanced conditional action to be triggered by all Success/Failure events for all TEB's; issue with this version (most easy) is that if the user clicks twice on a Submit button, the result will not be correct. Used this version to test out the work flow before creating the second version
  • Each TEB has now a similar, slightly different conditional action, to be triggered both by its Success/Failure event. Now the user can use the Submit button for each TEB as many times as he wants, the text (success, hint, failure) and buttons will only appear when all 4 Submit buttons have been triggered; however there is no check if the user entered really something into the TEB. Let me know if this is necessary as well

Think it will be better if I explain the solution in a blog post... if you agree. I used a variable v_total to store the total number of answers (for both scenarios) and for the second one I also have a toggle variable for each TEB to store if its Submit button has been clicked. I attached a score to each TEB to be able to use the system variable cpQuizInfoPointsscored for the conditions as well. It will take a lot of text to post the explanation here. Let me know about the check for empty entries in the TEB's: will you allow a blank entry if the user clicks on a Submit button or not.

I worked it out in Captivate 6, if you are using that version, send me a private message with your email address and I could send you the example with the advanced actions.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 5.5. You can blog it, let me know the URL please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer, should have asked it. Because I used some aspects that do not exist in CP5.5 as object groups and smart shapes. However the advanced actions can be used in CP5.5 if you take care to change statements referring to object groups into statements for each object.

What about the 'check' if the user did input something into the TEB when clicking the Submit button?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the check to mean that it the user doesn’t enter something in the TEB, and then clicks the submit button it will mark the answer as wrong, rather than prompting the user to enter something.

If this is correct, then I don’t think the check is necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, just wanted to verify.This means that the user can choose to give a 'blank' answer.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, that’s what I thought… I guess they could miss the answer by accident, but in general I guess they would do if this if they didn’t know the answer. That’s fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Here is the link to the blog post:

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/aggregating-results-tebs-in-captivate

You can literally use the same advanced actions in Captivate 5. You'll have a normal Next and Review button (instead of a shape button), and perhaps you do not need the 'actor' I added. Let me know if you have issues or questions.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources