15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 12:02 PM by kiski

Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?

kiski Level 1

There is the Creative Cloud option at 50 bucks a month. Seems like overkill for me and more money for Adobe. If I go that option for a year, can I bow out later?

I was still using Freehand MX mostly for designing logos. But OSX10.7 won't read FH. So that's coming to an end.

Is upgrading the 3 Adobe apps separately the cheapest way to do this? Creative Suite is too expensive. Does any software supplier offer a deal?  Does upgrading only to CS5 make any sense to save $$? If that makes any sense.  Any advice would be appreciated. Ta! :-)

• 1. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Though I personally still use "perpetual licensing" I think the cloud is actually a bargain. Do you need to use the software simultaneously on these machines? Are they used only be you, or by differnt people?

Your regular license allows two activations for non-simultaneous use by a single user. A cloud subscription, as I understand it, allows for you to access your files from anywhere, but I'm not certain what the rules are as far as moving the apps from computer to computer. I suspect they're similar -- two non-simultaneous activations. The clooud also allows cross-platform use whcih a standard license does not, and gives you access to a lot more than you'll get for $600 in a perpetual license. Whether this is good for you or not will depend on whether you plan to keep up-to-date in the futer or let three versions go by again before upgrading.

Are the various aplications you have now stand-alone or part of a suite package? The suites are a better buy, but I'm not seeing any upgrade paths from individual apps to the full suite packages being offered any longer. You asked about upgrading to CS5, but realistically that is not an option. There are no CS5 packages available in the regular reseller network, which leaves you looking for an aftermarket deal that may or may not be legitimate and you could easily wind up with software that you cannot register and activate. Do you really need to upgrade? If so, do you really need to upgrade everything? If you got by with Freehand, perhaps you don't need the newer versions of Phtoshop or Illustrator?

• 2. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Just a quick note to clarify…Beginning January 1, you will not be able to skip versions and get upgrade pricing. You either stay current or you pay full price.

There is no doubt that Adobe is pushing hard to get users into Creative Cloud. As Peter says, it's a bargain, and from Adobe's stand point it provides a smoother cash flow.

Bob

• 3. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
              kiski Level 1

Thanks for your comments.

I am the only user on my Mac out of my home office. I have separate apps, not as part of a suite. I know that I can stay behind the newest versions only so long before I cannot open someone elses file. Being FORCED into a $600 a year perpetual license is ridiculous. It's hard for me to justify that financially plus the constant learning curve.

I used to get 3-4 years out of software before I upgraded. Now it's like buying a $100,000 Porsche and only driving it around town in 2nd gear. A lesser car will work. But now there is no lesser choice. 

I know there are many casual designers out there who dabble as they have other full time jobs. They won't be able to afford this cloud option. I can understand Adobe as a business wanting a captive audience to maximize profits, but it doesn't serve everyones needs when they dominate the marketplace and give people no choice. That's very poor brand management! I, for one, am very unhappy!

• 4. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?

Do you use the software at least once a month? If not, then there is always the option, at least for now, of paying for the cloud on an as-needed basis in 30 day chunks. It's a bit more expensive if you use it often, but if you only need the software five times a year it might be worth considering.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?

And since non-professionals have mentioned here, perhaps looking at open source alternatives is in order. Scribus, Gimp, etc are all very capable programs.

Bob

• 6. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
                    kiski Level 1

I do use Photoshop and InDesign daily. Illustrator less so. Maybe several times a month.

I have no idea what Scribus, Gimp are. Are these files my commercial  printer could use? Would I be able to open someone elses InDesign files? Do they manage fonts in the same way, etc?

• 7. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?

Yes, they could be used to produce commercially printed materials but no, InDesign would not be able to open those files.

Bob

• 8. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
                        kiski Level 1

Back to Square One...

Upgrade individual apps (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) each year or perpetual license for ever?

Or...

Go back to Quark (still have version 6) from InDesign?

Nothing to replace Illustrator as Adobe killed Freehand.

Nothing to replace Photoshop.

:-(

• 9. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
                          MW Design Level 5

Cannot help with the Mac Illy or ID replacement issue. I'm Windows-based and am pretty ignorant of available Mac applications.

For PhotoShop though, perhaps you could take a look at PhotoLine. I have been a user for 10 or so years it seems (been around longer than that, though). They support 32- and 64-bit Windows (both install) and also have a Mac version.

PhotoLine has a dated-looking interface (at least on the Win version). The brothers that program it are very responsive, releasing regular updates through a product major version number that not only kill the odd bug, but add features. Attractive price, 30-day trial.

The savings on PL would offset the upgrade cost for ID.

Take care, Mike

• 10. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
                            kiski Level 1

Mike,

I can look into that. Does it have a CMYK color format option which is necessary for commercial printing?

• 11. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?

Kiski, I think you really need to do a bit of a brush up on modern printing. There is no problem in using properly created and tagged RGB images in a print workflow.

Bob

• 12. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
                                MW Design Level 5

Yes, kiski. Just output as a CMYK tiff, PS format, or PDF. Download the trial for the Mac...as I mentioned, I use Windows so have no expoerience with the Mac version.

Take care, Mike

• 13. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
                                  kiski Level 1

Bob,

RGB images in a document for four color process offset printing... How does that work?

• 14. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?

From InDesign you have the option to convert to any color space during the Export to PDF process. Waht this means is that you can keep and edit your images in RGB and place those into ID, then do the conversion at output time, allowing you to ooutput the same file to a number of different devices, both CMYK nad RGB, and to use the correct profile for each, thereby optimizing the colors correctly for each output condition. This is a terrific workflow if you don't know ahead of time where your work will be printed or if you think you would like to re-purpose a file for both screen and print.

The downside to this workflow is there is no opportuninty for "fine tuning" of the images after the conversion, if that is your habit. The conversion is identical to what you would get in Photoshop with Edit > Convert to Profile... and did nothing more.

• 15. Re: Most economical way to upgrade CS4 x 3?
                                      kiski Level 1

CMYK or RGB images in InDesign for offset printing? Here is what my commercial printer told me (large company, two shifts)... "they should do so themselves"...

"Images can be left as RGB and will be converted on-the-fly through our RIP software. The client needs to be aware, however, that there is always a colour shift when converting images from RGB to CMYK. When we convert those images, they are converted with the GRACoL2006_Coated1v2 profile which is the G7 standard. But if the client wishes to have control over the colour conversion by using an alternate profile, they should do so themselves before sending us the file"