• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I wish to transfer books from my old notebook to my new e-reader.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish to transfer books from my old notebood to my new e-reader (DRM).

I have a different Addobe ID and am unable to do this as I get a message which states that if I change my ID to my more recent one I may not be able to read some of the material. Does any one know the solution to this please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say why you have a different AdobeID on the new reader.

The usual solution would be to use the same ID on the new reader as on the old notebook.

If you changed to a new AdobeID because you didn't realize the implications, and don't really need the different one

1. Remove the new AdobeID from the new reader (while plugged into the old notebook, ctrl-shift-E)
  2. Unplug and replug the new reader.
  3. When prompted, give the new reader your old AbobeID.
  4. You should then be able to transfer and read books quite happily.

If you've already got some DRM books on the new reader with the new ID, or have some other reason you really need the new ID, I am afraid you are a bit stuck.

I pretty sure the only option you have is the keep changing the id of the reader between the old and new id's, depending which book you want to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your rapid response.

As I have had the new ID for sometime I wish to remain with this one. I set it up on my new notebook as I have Adobe Photoshop and to access the adobe site.

However, the message on the new Reader software which I have downloaded onto my old computer to transfer the books tells me that if I change my ID I run the risk of not being able to read my books. Apart from an old e-mail address I have no idea what the old address of several years ago is. .

It seems there are many issues with these e-readers which are not revealed until after purchase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems there are many issues with these e-readers which are not revealed until after purchase. I am afraid you are right.  I just checked google and it seems the only way you might be able get old DRM books on your new ID is if the origial seller will let you download them again.  Being a meanie, I tend to use my ereader for library books and free books (typically older classics from project Gutenberg), and so avoid many (not all) of the hassles.

It still may not be appropriate for you; but you don't need to use the same AdobeID for all Adobe applications on a given computer.  You could use your old ID for Digital Editions and all your ebooks (past and future) and your new ID for Photoshop etc.

You old id is probably your old email address.  If you haven't yet registered the new id on the laptop, you should be able to find out what it was.

On the library dropdown at top left, choose 'Authorize Computer', and it will tell you your old id.

If you've forgotten the old password you can get it refreshed at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm?nl=1&loc=en_us&nf=1

That page also has places to click if you've forgotten your old id, and even if you've forgotten your old email.

That probably needs access to your old email; I'm not sure if you still have that.

If not, you may be able to convince Adobe to change the associated email address and password.

Good luck trying to chase through whatever you decide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems we are going round in circles here. I cannot transfer my books with my old address and I cannot use my new one as there is a risk of losing my books.  Furthermore I want one login for everything and that is my new one.

I need expert advice from adobe but they offer no assistance.

thanks for your advice anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid you are right.  Just to clarify; your choice is

1. You keep a single login, but lose your old books.
  2. You keep your old books, but need a different Adobe login for ebooks and for Photoshop etc.

If you choose 1, you don't need any extra help to achieve it.

If you choose 2 and suggestions above don't work, please post back and we'll try to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your latest message. I most certainly do not wish to lose my books. Like you I use mainly free downloads like these which were classics offered free with the e-book and downloads from Project Gutenberg. Otherwise i purchased the reader to read numerous PDF docs. which is not proving very satisfactory because of the layout of some of them and to build up a library of free classics of which I already had a very good collection if only I can transfer these books without losing them. I may also download the odd bestseller from a bookshop although I have discovered after purchase this choice is quite limited outside the UK and EU.

would it work if I copied the books for the old or new software onto a micro SD and then inserted that into my e-reader. then maybe there would be no need to change either of the IDs.

I had tried to make backup copies of these books but these now just appear as empty shells so I can't download these to my reader either although they are still intact in the old and new reader software on my own notebook and I don't want to do anything to jeopardise them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The free books which don't have any DRM (Digital Rights Management) you should be able to copy and read on other devices quite easily; both between PCs (or Macs) and eReader devices.

You don't need any Adobe software and it doesn't matter whether you have registered and AdobeID or not.

If you can find the files on the computer, you can just copy them using a file manager such as Windows Explorer.

Depending on what network connections you have between devices (PCs, Macs, eReaders), you can copy them directly over the network, or using SD card or similar.

And if the reader accepts SD cards, you can read them on the reader directly off the SD card.

Unfortunately, for the bought books which DO have DRM, you must have the same AdobeID when you read them that you had when you first bought and downloaded them.

However you copy (network, USB connection, SD card) and whatever device you copy between; they will only be readable with the original AdobeID.

Effectively, for those DRM books, the AdobeID is burned into your particular .epub (or .pdf) file, and will follow through all the copying.

I think that you can copy them via devices which don't know about the AdobeID, or back them up on such devices.

You just can't actually read them on devices without the original AdobeID.

I should correct a little what I said in the previous post:

I'm afraid you are right.  Just to clarify; your choice is

1. You keep a single login, but lose your old books which have DRM.
  2. You keep your old books, but need a different Adobe login for ebooks and for Photoshop etc

As long as you keep your original AdobeID (username and password) you shouldn't have jeopardised your old DRM books.

However, you will have jeopardised using them in a convenient way consistent with your hope of having just a single new ID.

I hope I'm clarifying things for you rather than making it more and more confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines