• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

installing FM8 on windows 8- how to deal with a 1603 error ?

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

i have run FM8 on Windows 7 for a long time, but upgraded to Win 8.

I have installed CS4, but now that I am attempting to install FM8, i have a problem. The install goes almost all the way to the end; the installer mentions something about updating registry entries, but this goes by in a flash. Then the install rolls everything back. It says there is a 1603 error.

Win compatibility modes don't seem to help, nor does installing from hard disk. I have switched off all the startup items, changed permissions on spool/drivers, but i still get the same error.

can anyone help ?

many thanks in advance

david

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will help with Windows 8 installations, but XP

service pack 3 broke the installation of FM8 from disk. Adobe issued a

new installer online, but you have to download it. I believe this

installer was also necessary for later Windows versions. Anyway, worth a

try.

You can download the fixed installer here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4549

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi thanks

i did try the installer, but it does exactly the same thing. In compatibility mode, it goes all the way to the end of the install, and then undoes it all

cheers

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install it in a virtual XP drive?

PS – why are you using FM8 when FM11 is out there now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jeff

i wasn't quite sure what you meant by a virtual xp drive, but i guess you mean something like this :

http://www.intowindows.com/xp-mode-in-windows-8/

that is setting up XP in a virtual machine in windows 8, then installing framemaker there ?

I suspect that is too technical for me. I have used FM8 on several Win 7 machines, so it is surprising it doesn't install on a Win8 machine. FM8 doesn't install in the normal XP or win7 compatibility mode in Win8.

I am also aware that FM11 is out. However, i have FM8, i have got lots of files which work perfectly for my low level use of FM8, and it would be nice to use them without having to buy the newest software.

thanks very much for your help.

cheers

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going the virtual route may be your only choice to getting FM8 installed on your Win8 machine. You do have full admin rights to your drive, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi jeff

it is my home machine, so i have full admin rights to everything on the machine . That is why i made the mistake of installing Windows 8, and discovering all sorts of interesting niggles

I am still a bit non-plussed, because it worked easily under Win 7, and I understand that Win8 isn't that much different...

thanks

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you contacted Adobe Support? Usually install issues are freebies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freebie support is typically for current products and you must meet all of the listed specifications for your installation machine. Since FM8 was developed way before Win8 (and even Win7), it's highly unlikely that they'll provide any support for a release three versions back from the current one.

As has been mentioned, your best bet may be creating a virtual XP machine and installing FM8 on that if running your setup in compatibility mode didn't do it for you..

You also might want to have look at this message/thread that threw the same error:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4377543#4377543

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Its not compatible as its not been tested on Win 8 and its an old version

Even Framemaker 11 system requirement is only till Win 7.

Harpreet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines