• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macros used in RH9 to create printed documentation (digital signature?)

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per my IT deparment, I need to verify that the macros used in the creation of printed documentation (output to MS-Word) have been digitally signed. Would someone be able to verify this for me? Thank you.

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have better luck over in the Printed Documentation thread or give Adobe Support a call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could be wrong here but I think the only macros that are used in generating the Word file are on the Word side, not Adobe's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Colum, they are Word macros, but they are also there because of a DOT that Adobe supplies. And in that DOT file, there are macros that are created (or at least maintained) by the Adobe folks. So in a way, the onus does actually fall into Adobe's lap as far as signing them and whatnot.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your responses. I have been in contact with Adobe technical support. The macros that Adobe supplies for this process have not been digitally signed. Should that make my IT department hesitant to allow these macros to run on the system when the MS-Word files are produced from RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up to you & them - I wouldn't care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me neither but the final decision is I guess up to your IT peeps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the templates really need to be signed? They are installed as part of RoboHelp or TCS and that has been digitally signed so there is a sort of inherited signature.

This is the first time that I can recall anyone querying this in fifteen years of using RoboHelp.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I correct in assuming that one of the first steps RH9 takes in creating an MS-Word document is to open a .DOT template file that specifies how the document will appear? If so, what is the purpose of the macros that are contained in that file?

I am working to address concerns from my IT department. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you could tell your IT peeps that the package as a whole is digitally signed. This so happens to have a .DOT file. Although this may not have a digital signature, this should suffice. It is a bit like asking for a guarantee on a Corvette and it breaks down on driving it home because the clutch is broke. The clutch itself itself may not have a guarantee but the car has. Let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your IT people need to tell you why they are concerned so that we can answer the specifics. If you open the supplied Style Mapping template, there are no macros in that. Without speaking to Adobe, I can only assume the conversion uses scripts that are built into the Rh exe, which is signed.

What is it that is bothering your IT people, apart from the lack of signature itself?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your message. The enabling of macros goes against established policies and procedures. Because of this exception, I was hoping to gather some additional information that I could provide them as background information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm back-tracking a bit on my previous answer as Word does require security settings to be lowered, notwithstanding that the Style Mapping template has no macros visible. I think you need to persuade IT that however Adobe do this, it is a method that has been in use for years and no one has had any problems in the sense that concerns them.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp