• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge or flatten layers

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7c58.w.html

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

View > Navigation Panels > Layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro - I want to flatten or merge layers. The help says "Click the Layer Button". Well WHERE IS IT OR WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE??? I get so frustrated that the help says something like that and doesn't give any clue where it is or what it looks like. A search for Layer Button doesn't help either. I've been turning toolbars on and off and searching for an hour to try and find the elusive Layer Button. Frankly I think your help files are just horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Navigation Panels > Layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to go anywhere near the menus - it's on the sidebar:

layers-button.jpg

You can control which panels are available by right-clicking the sidebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification!

I agree with jrt-tn that the embedded help is lacking in visual clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Acrobat Pro XI I found the layers button finally, but it's greyed out-- I have a stamp and text boxes-- are they not layers? If not, how else to flatten without printing to pdf--or is that the only way, as cumbersome as it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They may or may not be on layers. Everything in a PDF can be on a layer potentially.

Confusingly, flattening in a PDF can be at least three different things. Flattening layers is really nothing but removing the names of layers. Then there is flattening transparency, and flattening comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a simple way of flattening annotations (which includes form fields), you can use this handy free JavaScript-based tool: http://www.uvsar.com/projects/acrobat/flattener/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this be scripted with javascript via a button trigger? I would like to flatten layers. You can do it from the panel easily and I would think you could do it from a button as you can "execute menu item" for most of the navigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it can be done using the "Flatten Layers" Preflight Profile, like this:

var oProfile = Preflight.getProfileByName("Flatten Layers");

if (oProfile != undefined)

this.preflight(oProfile);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67-

I've added the above script to a button but had no luck.  I'm a newbie so I don't fully understand all of it.  Can you translate the script so that I can determine what modification I need to make?  I'm unsure of what oProfile means exactly and the .getProfileByName.  Is "Flatten Layers" the profile name that already exists in acrobat?

Thanks,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about what oProfile means. You just need to create the "Flatten Layers" Preflight Profile and then it should work.

Create a new profile and then add to it the following Fixup command: Discard hidden layer content and flatten visible layers.

Save the profile as "Flatten Layers" and then the code should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was very helpful.  I didn't realize that creating the profile was easily done through the preflight tool nor that the "Fixup" command was a component of the tool.  The code worked perfectly, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines