• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

W2Kserver in limbo between uninstall and install.

Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stumped. A while back it updated to incompatible v11 I presume. Uninstaller will not run because of a DLL error (Procedure Entry Point SetDllDirectoryW could not be located in the Dynamic Link Library Kernel32.dll), so uninstall does not work at all. Installing any v10-10.3 fail as not the newest version. Newest version (11) does not install either (I think it is sort of still in there, and just disappears.) All the folders (32bit related) have been deleted. Now it is in limbo, and can't go forward or backwards. I have to find out what the REG value to change or delete to let an older version install. With 2KServer the newest version that was compatible was 10_1r102_64_winax.exe (10.1.102.64). That's where I want to be, at least v7 so any of the "speedtests" can work. This is an almost 14 year old perculator (still putting along) now a backup FTP/file server running 256Megs of Ram on a K6-3/350 (yes, a -3) overclocked at an amazing 368MHz. Yes, MEGAhertz. (It had 4x250GB drives in it a long time ago, and even has GB LAN too!) Works perfectly fine for what it needs to do now, and can't bring myself to fully retire it. I'm just having this big problem with FlashPlayer.

Thanks in advance,

-NYgnat.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Ok, now I understand.

The 'SetDllDirectoryW' error on Win2K is known, and there is a workaround.  You will need a hex editor, edit the uninstaller exe and replace the constant 'SetDllDirectoryW' with 'GetModuleHandleW'.

There is a detailed description of modifying the installer at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4427736#4427736 and above.  This should get the uninstaller running on W2K.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what your situation is.  After you install version 10.x, is there anything in C:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash ?

What version are you trying to install, the ActiveX or the plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the answer would be YES. It is a full install. It's a very old machine running Win2000Server and IE6.0 because that is the latest compatible version of IE. Adding flash player all along, and years ago (c. 2001) was fine, when an automatic update of Flash updated it to 11 recently (I realize now, that I should have stopped it!) brought it up to this incompatible version, and flash didn't work at all. I then found out that the 10.1.102.64 version above was the last compatible with Win2000 which was what version WAS running fine before the update to 11. Trying to install the other older version fails as there is a "newer one available,... go to the download site." So I try uninstall_flash_player.exe and it fails with the failure message above. Now I am in limbo, NOTHING is on the drive in any macromedia folders, so the issue is now in the registry. Something in there is denying an older version to be installed. I need to find out what that entry is, and edit it so that version 7 to 10.1.102.64 install can go in. If there is a program from Adobe that specifically removes that entry to allow an older version install that would suffice if the security of the newer version require that kind of secrecy. A program called Remove_Flash_Player_Registry_entries.exe for example. So that this way the values aren't actually publicized. Maybe even a direct running offering off Adobe.com Does that help explain the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2012 Dec 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you uninstall version 11.x via Add/Remove Programs?  If so, all relevant registry entries should have been removed.

Some Flash Player installers check online for the availability of newer versions; in that case you should temporarily disconnect from the Internet while running the installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pat.

Uninstall never worked. That was the FIRST attempt. About the 20th attempt, out of pure frustration, I just deleted all the folders. As stated in "after" using uninstall program from Adobe.

I disconnected and still has same error, as in "there's a newer version" so it is definitely a REG key that is telling the 10x version installer that there is another newer version, whatever higher value it is, in the REG, I need to lower it to like 6, so v7-v10 CAN install. A partial of the Adobe uninstall program, that just deletes the reg values is needed.

-gnat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now I understand.

The 'SetDllDirectoryW' error on Win2K is known, and there is a workaround.  You will need a hex editor, edit the uninstaller exe and replace the constant 'SetDllDirectoryW' with 'GetModuleHandleW'.

There is a detailed description of modifying the installer at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4427736#4427736 and above.  This should get the uninstaller running on W2K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to dig up a HEX editor, then grab something to drink... And THEN attempt it. It's been 20 years since using ANY editors..

Edited update a little while later...

According to that link, they're saying to use the installers, but as you said, it was the UNinstaller. So I just renamed the edited one the same with a -2k.exe suffix.

Uninstall of what was left over and install on 10.1.102.64 was flawless.

Now it works fine on that 10 version. I just have to remember to be patient when it's busy doing ANYTHING but just sitting there. HAHA.

I've learned NOT to update anything Adobe on it anymore...

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great; well done!

See the 10.1 Admin Guide at http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1111 how to create a mms.cfg file, and set AutoUpdateDisable=1 to prevent automatic updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Grandpa Server went back to take a nap.. Official Sticky Note is on power button to remind me to tackle the MMS.cfg file on the next power on.

Thanks again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines