• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am having problems exporting to PDF using InDesign for Mac.

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I just started using the Creative Suite on Mac and have run into a couple problems. One is that when I set up a document in InDesign using "Facing Pages" and then export to PDF, the document exports each set of "Facing Pages" as one singular spread (my 20 page InDesign document becomes a 10 page PDF). Once it is a PDF, there are no page break lines in the center of the spread to indicate that they are two separate pages, and when I try to set up viewing preferences in Acrobat (single or double page), it too recogrnizes each spread as a single page.

When I used to do this in InDesign using Windows, whether I exported to PDF or printed to PDF from a document set up with "Facing Pages," each page would still be considered separate once converted to PDF (20 page InDesign docment becomes a 20 page PDF).

This also leads me to my next question : I see that on Mac, there is no option for printing to PDF, but I notice a quality difference specifically when it comes to linework (vector information) that has been "placed" in the document from Illustrator. Is there any way to achieve the quality of printing to PDF on Mac?

Thank you in advance!

Gabby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You have to Export PDF for Print, not interactive PDF. Interactive PDF is always exported as spreads up to InDesign CS5.5.

2. In the Export dialog for Export to PDF for print you have to deselct "Spreads" in the General tab.

There is no need to print a pdf, exporting is much better because it supports also transparency. (But it is still possile but not recommended. It is hidden in the print dialog on the mac.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Willi said. The new default in CS5 and 5.5 is Interactive, rather than Print, so you need to change that in the export type dropdown, then you'll see pretty much the same familiar export dialog you expect. Once selected, that choice will stick until the next time you change it.

Exporting is now a "background task" and there were some problems in the beginning. Please be sure you've updated to the latest patch, and see InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Acrobat’s Adobe PDF Printer Replaced in Snow Leopard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, I havent actually exported yet, but I took a look at the drop down and do see that when you choose PDF (print) in the export dialogue it looks familiar with the option to check "spreads."

What is the difference between PDF Print and PDF Interactive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF Interactive is for viewing the output onscreen where the concept of spreads usually doesn't make sense. PDF Print is for commercial or personal printing where it can be useful to view two pages side by side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2012 Dec 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree. I have to make accessible PDFs, which only seem to be doable using interactive settings. But I'm creating books and reports, to be placed on a website, and therefore needing to be accessible. For sighted people, I need to have recto-verso page numbering, on single pages. This is a major issue. I did create a long book with verso only paging, but am being asked to create an Annual Report, which needs recto-verso paging, single pages, not spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2012 Dec 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, don't display them as spreads. That's merely a setting in Acrobat.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, I just tried your suggestion, but the interactive PDF is in spreads by default, no way to change the setting. When I choose to view by single page in Acrobat, it displays a single spread.

When I choose to view by spreads, it displays 4 pages, two spreads. That's the topic of this whole discussion, I believe. I do own CS 6 at home, however my employer supplied me with CS 5.5. And I have very little, if any, influence on purchasing.

So, I have no good way to make an interactive PDF (with differing recto/verso headers and footers), that is accessible and shows the correct header/footer. It's either single pages (with one header/footer), or recto/verso headers/footers but PDF only as a spread, as well as I can tell.

Unless you know something else I can do...

Best, Marilyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://indesignsecrets.com/interactive-pdf-from-indesign-cs5-always-has-spreads-on.php

Make sure you read all of the comments!

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect! Thank you very much. The script should be moved to the top of this topic and also the page on Indesignsecrets.com!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines