Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nook HD +

Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE does not come with the Nook HD+, so all the fixes I found to make ADE recognize the Nook won't work. How can I make it work with my Nook HD+? Is it as easy as an install from the web browser? I don't want to break my new device, so I am a little skeptical.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just had a lengthy online chat session with a member of the B&N Digital Support team. After some tiresome unsuccessful tries at different solutions, here are the instructions I received for getting books from ADE to your NookHD/NookHD+:

We changed our file transfer method to a new one (Media File Transfer Protocol), which is not recognized by desktop ADE yet.

To activate books on NOOK HD devices, users will have to:

1. Transfer ADE books from desktop (User/Documents/Digital Editions folder) to device using our file transfer (drag & drop)

2. They will appear in Library -> My Files

3. Connect to Wi-Fi with good-to-excellent signal strength

4. Tap on the book to open

5. Input their ADE account credentials into the credential form (username in the first field and password in the second)

6. Press "OK" button

7. Book will open

8. All the subsequent books from the same ADE account will open after this (user will no longer need to perform all the steps or have Wi-Fi, just transfer books to device and tap on them

Or, 1. Connect to Wi-Fi with good-to-excellent signal strength

2. Go to Settings ->Account Settings -> Adobe Digital Editions

3. Tap on "Add User" button

4. Input their ADE account credentials into the credential form (username in the first field and password in the second)

5. Press "OK" button

6. Transfer ADE books from desktop (User/Documents/Digital Editions folder) to device using our file transfer (drag & drop)

7. They will appear in Library -> My Files

8. Tap on any file -> it will open

I then proceeded to ask him the following:

Since this additional step does make the process LESS convenient, do you know if there are any plans to make the process more like it was before? Essentially to make the NookHD show up in ADE for direct transfers like all the previous devices?

His response: Sorry we do not have information regarding that. It seems that the NOOK developer integrated ADE on the device so you may no longer need to use ADE to transfer the items from the computer to the NOOK.

I was able to use this method to get books on there. Hope this helps you guys. Be interested to hear your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My calls to the NOOK support team prior to my post two weeks ago were met with surprise on their end.  After I'd detailed the process that I outlined above, they proceeded to tell me that the new devices could still sideload via ADE.  Only after telling them that I'd thorougly tested both models and that this was simply not true did they admit that the functionality with the desktop versions of ADE no longer existed.

Authorizing the device can be done prior to sideloading in the Settings menu.  And I'm not convinced that it affects DRM one way or the other, as I was able to successfully sideload and view a title authorized initially with another company's Vendor ID without a single error.

Bollocks, if you ask me.  This is as janky a product release as I've seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soo... I just went into Settings on my HD+, found the ADE section and signed into my ADE account. Now all I have to do is connect the Nook to my laptop and transfer the files to the device for them to appear, and now I basically don't need to have ADE on my laptop?

If that's the case, and this works (I'm at my gf's house, my Nook usb cord is at home) I'm gonna be very happy, cus I recently bought a book on Kobo for half of what B&N sells it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason that you'd need ADE is if it's required to download eBooks from the company they're sourced to.  If it's not required as part of the download then you won't need it to move your items to the NOOK.

I'd love to see a screen capture for anyone who's had success getting either of the HD models to show up in ADE...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sopwith - won't happen.  Sweatpea's answer #6 is correct in all respects.  It's up to the Adobe folks to decide to support MTP mass storage devices as well as USB mass storage devices in ADE. Until then Nook HD's will not show up in ADE.  (IIRC, it will work for Mac, but not Windows).

On the other hand, you don't need ADE anymore if you don't want to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What won't happen, precisely?  I'm not sure that I follow which answer you're attempting to validate that I disagreed with.

As I mentioned, I've tested these devices rather thoroughly on both Mac and Windows environments, and have yet to get either to appear in the 'Devices' section of ADE 2.0.

Further, I've tested all prior NOOK models sans the addition of a mass storage medium - they all accomodate sideloading by way of ADE without issue.  ADE - when transferring content to those very same older models of the NOOK while the devices are connected  and in 'USB Mode' - does not care whether it sees the device's onboard media drive or a mass storage chip.

To speak to your previous post:

Your description of ADE is fine in and of itself, but you are aware that the B&N inclusion of a 'Reader' that's described explicitly as 'Adobe Digital Editions' represents the first time (unless i'm mistaken) that a mobile application on any platform has been given that distinction?

Many devices and software programs - from those you've mention, to others like Aldiko, Kalahari, ect. - have been 'powered by Adobe', but this move by B&N appears to represent a genuine change in philosophy, even though they won't share what their precise end-goal is.

As was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the 'supported devices' list, while great, isn't all-encompassing.  It's best used as a reference, but not a definitive resource.  A device manufacturer's tech support/customer support team will often provide a more comprehensive answer in regards to their device's compability with the various technologies that are out there.

You do make a lot of good points that may not be that obvious to some... But it still doesn't seem to speak directly to the problem outlined by the OP, which is that the vast majority of us simply cannot get either NOOK HD models to work with the ADE graphic interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - has anyone been able to get the NOOK HD to recognize and/or open a non-B&N Adobe Content Server Management (.acsm) file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

B&N is working on the acsm file, when I was talking with them last night, they guy said I wasnt downloading the correct format, PDF or ePub, I assured him I was & when I went to the containing folder it is automatically being saved as acsm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE then takes the acsm file and downloads a PDF or epub.  The acsm file is just a pointer to the real book not the book itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they allow non-B&N files with the .acsm extension to be handled by the device, it opens the door for 3rd party content providers to modify the content servers themselves to allow downloads to that family of devices.

This would be an ideal solution, but I won't hold my breath for it to happen, as B&N knows that content is their king.  Why work with another company to cut into thier own bottom line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can get acsm file onto the nook HD+ but when I go to open it, it says its not supported.  B&N says it should be because ADE is built into the new devices. They are working on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they truly intend to do this, it would open the door for any content provider who's using the Adobe Content Server model for digital distribution to get their wares directly to the NOOK - no more sideloading.

If that's their ultimate endgame, it makes one wonder if they rushed the device to market before it's time.  There was a firmware update available almost immediately after the sale date...  Was the 'fully featured' version of the onboard version of ADE also supposed to have been more feature-laden?  Nothing happens when you click on the listing for the Reader under the Applications sub-menu...

I'd wager they were in a hurry to divert some of the attention away from the Kindle HD, iPad Mini and the new Google tablet so that they'd have a bit of momentum headed into the holiday purchasing season...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before my initial post on the 15th, I'd attempted to download the .acsm files directly, and also tried copying them via Explorer to see if they'd open on the device.  Neither method yeilded any positive results.

I've heard that some folks are looking at a solution based around the boot sequence on these new models as well.  Not a 'true' device rootkit, but simply forcing another program to run using the hardware without killing the firmware.  It's also not an ideal solution, but if it works I'd like to see it in action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so after many hours on the phone w/B&N, I was finally transferred to a "level 2" support team member. As far as the PC not syncing right w/the Nook HD+ to allow me to transfer files such as movies, books, pics and music, all I needed to do was go into the settings of the Nook & enable ADB? To me this should be automatically enabled, and if not, that should be the first thing phone support checks when you call and say your Nook HD+ isnt syncing. Now, as far as transferring the Adobe Digital books that I check out from the online library, they were no help at all.  They say it works but it doesnt & when we walk through it together it didnt work, they had no idea why & said they would work on it?  They go around to this is to use Overdrive which works perfectly fine but my argument with B&N is if you say it works with Adobe Digital it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, the drag and drop solution isn't an issue for me - not much more effort than dragging and dropping within ADE. The worst thing is that my non-techie DH is "trained" on ADE/Nook Simple Touch. He's not very comfortable with Windows Explorer.  It would be so much nicer if they could make the tablet-type devices work within ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just happened to come across a similar problem with my mother's new Nook HD for her books she checks out through the library. HOWEVER, we did find that B&N has available through their site free apps for both libraries that use Overdrive Media Console as well as libraries that use the 3M Cloud Library. All you need to do is download these free apps to be able to directly download from your library's site into your Nook.

Overdrive Media Console: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/overdrive-media-console-overdrive-inc/1113021293

3M Cloud Library: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/3m-cloud-library-3m-company/1113021300

Once you have downloaded the correct app for your local library you can access the app in with all of your other apps. Within the app it's self is where you can find your library books. My mother was so excited to find out we could do this. She is good with a computer but it takes her a few times to learn how to do the file transfers/drag&drop so for a direct download to be available is a really big relief to her not having to learn something new and complicated.

As far as books from other sites, I'm not sure that these apps would download them, however I haven't had a chance to test that theory out.

Hope this helps some of you out and wishing you all the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wanted to take my online library books and upload them to the Nook HD+.  I followed the instructions and it worked but this is the deal:

One free library book uploaded to my Nook, but when I went to launch it, it said it cost $8.56. So if the library has it for free, but B&N sells  it, the Nook knows that it should charge me for it. Sneaky! I found there wasn't much depth to the library selection, just like the free books on the Nook aren't the cream of the crop either. Live and learn!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of like what user "Sopwithcamel74" said, I got mine to work through sideloading.  I had already downloaded a book from the library onto my desktop into ADE and wanted to put it on my Nook HD.  Of course I had tried a bunch of different things previously, so what I write below is based on the last few things I tried that actually worked.  And hopefully, there is not some other phantom step I took that helped the steps below...in other words, I hope you will only need the steps below:

From ADE 2.0:

1) I right clicked on the book I wanted to transfer and clicked "Show File in Explorer"

2) In Windows Explorer, I clicked on "Edit>Copy to Folder"

3) I found my Nook HD in the Windows Explorer window as a portable device and clicked on in (Computer>BNTV  I guess that's it's current default name?) 

4) Selected the appropriate file (Internal Storage> B&N Downloads > Books)

5) Then clicked (Edit> Paste); my book then appeared in the file as an ePub file.

6) On the nook itself, I opened my library, went to the settings, pressed refresh, and was asked to enter my Adoboe authorization ID. 

7) It then asks you how you want to open it (Reader vs. Overdrive).  I selected Reader, and it opened right up.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried the above on my old computer running windows xp and it came up with the message file not supported on this device. I then copied the file over to a newer computer running windows 7 and success! after several hours of trying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see my blog - http://nbhufflerblogspot.com

I have had exactly the same problems.  Now overcome them.

DO NOT PLUG BNOOK INTO COMPUTER

Download Overdrive Media Console from your Nook Shop if you do not already have it.

Authorise your Nook with your ADE ID (done when loading Overdrive)

Go on to web from Nook

Go to your library

choose books

checkout

download to Android

choose Overdrive

Hey presto you have your library books on your Nook in Overdrive Medial console

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a plan that works.  I just did it on my Nook HD+.  It requires a Dropbox account which is free and easy to set up.

1. Install Dropbox on your Nook HD.

2. On your computer or other device, put the .epub file for your book in a Dropbox folder.

3. Open the .epub file on your Nook HD.

4. Read and enjoy.

(It may prompt you to select which reader you want to use in step 3.  Since I have the Books a Million reader on mine, it asked if I wanted to use that or the generic reader.  Both worked to open the book.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This requires your Nook HD to be connected to the internet.

Dropbox is an app that is available in the Google Play Store as a regular Android app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you open the .epub file on your Nook HD, it will show up in your Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines