• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import mp4 into after effects cs4

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a gopro hero 3 and wanted to slow a 960p 50fps video down in AE but i cannot open it. it just keeps saying it's of an unsopported format. How do I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 is a rather old version of After Effects and, as such, doesn't support many of the things it supports now.

You have two options:

1) Get the new version of AE (you can download a 30 day trial from Adobe)

or

2) Use Adobe Media Encoder, MPEG Streamclip, or any other video editing software to reencode your footage into a format that After Effects CS4 can use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the trial version of After Effects CS4 (and copies gotten through illegitimate means) don't have the codecs for reading such files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how would i aquire and install this missing codecs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I realize this thread is quite old, I must comment about your reference to versions acquired through illegitimate means. Luckily my financial situation is quite secure, however, it wasn't always so secure. I grew up in Poland and it is quite poor there. I managed to break free from the poverty but I was extremely lucky. I have the money to buy full versions of Adobe's software and I am eternally grateful to Adobe for making these programs that are so incredible. However, we must never forget that many are not so fortunate. If one's dream is to start their own digital video production company or digital video editing service and one does not have any money, then one can not pursue their dreams.

This brings me to my question to you since you work for this magnificent company Adobe, does Adobe offer free software to those who have potential but have no way to pay for software?  After Effects CS6 for Mac is almost 500.00 US dollars. Of course one must purchase a computer that can run the software which is not going to be cheap either. A computer that can run CS6 is going to need a 64 bit operating system quad core not necessarily water cooled but a hefty machine oh with at least 16GB of ram preferably 32. A Mac will easily cost 3000 US dollar. If one chooses a PC it would still be out of reach of person with no money.  Poor person barely getting by, out of their reach. They would need to say goodbye to their dreams.

I assume Adobe is a fortune 500 company making if not billions, at least 100's of millions so why not allow some to get free software and then poor people do not have to say goodbye to their dreams or use adobe software through illegitimate means, as you say. Any of you who come here and do digital production work, would you want to say goodbye to your dreams? Not everyone can come (and now under current US Pres even harder) or is born in the rich United States with its streets paved in gold. I lived on the streets of Poland as a child and only through sheer luck and grace of God was my family able to get a place to live and life get better.

As a company owner I would say it would be in Adobe's best interest to offer completely free full versions to those who qualify. It would be great PR as American business man say, no?  When one is down, it is very difficult if not impossible to get up. I notice in United States many do not struggle but I'm sure there are some who do not have money to go after their dreams and that reason was the inspiration for my company. I do my work completely free if need be for clients. How do I stay in business you might wonder. I am independently wealthy so I can offer my services for free to those who want to make a movie or a series on web. I put my money where my mouth is, as Americans say. So I challenge other companies to do the same. Offer a full product for free!  Adobe your company is a success and it is not in danger of going out of business, so pay something back to society. You don't have to give all your software for free but why not some to those in desperate need?  Show people that you care about them and about their dreams! People helping people is what will make the world a better place. Show the love, as Americans say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't work for Adobe, but I've been reading in these forums for over 10 years, and I have never read anything that says that Adobe gives their software away... and I seriously doubt that anyone from Adobe is ever going to see your request added to such an old message

Look up the corporate address and send a letter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, Mr smith, you very smart man. I do what you say and send letter, however, I send not just letter but email and not just one email. I will send hundreds. Thank you Mr American

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

precariatprodstudios  wrote

This brings me to my question to you since you work for this magnificent company Adobe,

Todd no longer works for Adobe.

precariatprodstudios  wrote

does Adobe offer free software to those who have potential but have no way to pay for software? 

I may have potential as a great driver, but Porsche still hasn't give me a free car.

That being said, Adobe does offer very cheap versions of the software to students and teachers - even those without potential!

precariatprodstudios wrote

After Effects CS6 for Mac is almost 500.00 US dollars.

Not anymore. Adobe no longer offers CS6 for sale.

Students and teachers can get the entire Creative Cloud collection of software (which includes After Effects, Cinema 4D Lite, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, illustrator, Character Animator, InDesign, Muse, Dreamweaver, Lightroom, and much more) for less than $20 a month. That seems very reasonable to me. You could use the latest versions of the whole collection for two years for less than the cost of one rather old piece of the suite - and you get the very latest versions as soon as they come out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also got a GoPro 3. It works fine for me on newer software. Did you download Cineform Studio from GoPro???

The raw files work without problems on a Mac. It would help if we knew what kind of system you're running. The OS and version and is your CS4 up to date?

BTW, you can slow down footage using GoPro's Cineform Studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried cineform but it never really worked on windows 8 and im pretty sure my cs4 is up to date (i just updated it a month ago)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Did not know CS4 could run at all on Windows 8.

I maintain my previous answer. It has always ever been that codecs using interframe compression schemes didn't play nice with CS4 and previous versions. Transcode your footage to something else. Quicktime with the PNG codec would be one choice, I've not tried the Cineform codec (free from GoPro) with CS4, but it's worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, you can't use Mp4's in AE 9.  Give it up.  You won't have success.

Transcode the footage into a lossless, full-frame codec.  Since I like quicktime, I'd suggest a quicktime movie in the PNG codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Installed QuickTime7 on My Windows XP -> After Effects CS4 Now I Can Import MP4 Files, Working Perfectly.

(Iam not installed any codec packs.)

Try to install QuickTime7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines