6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 1:24 PM by JMaivald

Missing SSI Menu?

Moving from Dreamweaver CS4 to CS6 the SSI (Server Side Include) insert command has apparently disappeared and I can't for the life of me find where it is in the new menus.

CS4 had the menu command available:

Select Insert > Server Side Include

CS6 has no such menu command despite the current help file saying it does

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-7b6ca .html

What am I missing here? Do other Dreamweaver CS6 users see this command?

• 1. Re: Missing SSI Menu?
          Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

According to the Help documentation, that was removed from the Cloud version of DWCS6 and is listed as "Not Available"...

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/dreamweaver/using/changes-insert-options-creative-c loud.html

• 2. Re: Missing SSI Menu?
            AlyGr Level 1

Hi Jon

That explains the missing menu option so I guess that you just have to manually code SSI statements.  Not a helpful choice in my opinion but one can only accept Adobe's decision.  Do you happen to know why they chose to remove this option?

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Missing SSI Menu?
              Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I really don't know, sorry.

• 4. Re: Missing SSI Menu?
                Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi AlyGr,

See this related discussion:

SSI is available from the Insert Panel under the PHP or ASP tab. 

Or you can add it to your Favorites tab.

Or do what I did, create a code Snippet and keyboard shortcut for it.

Nancy O.

• 5. Re: Missing SSI Menu?

Hi Nancy O

Thanks for the pointers, you are quite right when editing a PHP or ASP document the option to insert an include does appear in the Insert Panel menu.  The reason I hadn't seen this up till now is I was coding using SSI in a standard HTML document and in this case the insert > include option does not appear.

There were some good suggestions in the threads you pointed to that I can use to work around the issue.  The PHP insert > include option menu screen shot is included to compare with the original insert menu image posted.  You can see the missing insert option when editing standard HTML documents.

• 6. Re: Missing SSI Menu?
                    JMaivald User Group Manager

Please note that the "ASP" and "PHP" menus shown above, ONLY appear after you have established the appropriate server model and SAVED your page with the extension of .asp or .php.

The menus are context sensitive and you will only see the one appropriate for your own server model. But you won't see them at all if Dreamweaver doesn't recognize the page format.

If you want to use an SSI in an HTML page, you'll have to add the code by hand and save your page using a dynamic extension, such as .shtml. Most browsers won't support an SSI unless you are using a dynamic server model or file extension.