• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preventing Info from Appearing on Topics that Are Printed from a CHM

Enthusiast ,
Dec 21, 2006 Dec 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to prevent the following information from appearing on a topic, when the topic is printed directly from a .chm:

1. <Topic Title> (E.g., “Using the Help System” This is left-justified and appears at the very top of each page.)
2. Page <X> of <Y> (E.g., “Page 1 of 4” This is right-justified and appears at the very top of each page.)
3. <Topic Path> (E.g., “mk:@MSITStore:C:\Folder\Project%20Folder\Project.chm::/…” This is left-justified and appears at the very bottom of each page.)
4. <Date Printed> (E.g., “12/21/2006” This is right-justified and appears at the very bottom of each page.)

This information appears regardless of printer type, including when I “print” it to a PDF.

I saw another post on here that discussed using style sheets to hide header and footer information when viewing a topic in the .chm file, but then displaying it when the topic is printed. Perhaps there's a way to use a style sheet to suppress the printing of this info?

Note: My deliverable requires that I be able to print from the .chm so generating printed doc from the project isn’t an option. If there isn't a way to accomplish what I described above, I'll just keep these topics in MS Word format and include them in the .chm file by adding them to the Baggage Files.

I’m running:
- WinXP Pro, SP2
- IE 6
- RoboHelp X5.0.2

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Dec 26, 2006 Dec 26, 2006
To prevent the header and footer information from appearing on a topic that is printed, use the following steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click File> Page Setup.... A Page Setup dialog box appears.
3. Remove the following codes from the Header field: &w&bPage &p of &P
4. Remove the following codes from the Footer field: &u&b&d
5. Click OK. The Page Setup dialog box closes.
6. Print the topic. The topic prints without the title, page numbers, URL, and print date in the header and fo...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Dec 26, 2006 Dec 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To prevent the header and footer information from appearing on a topic that is printed, use the following steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click File> Page Setup.... A Page Setup dialog box appears.
3. Remove the following codes from the Header field: &w&bPage &p of &P
4. Remove the following codes from the Footer field: &u&b&d
5. Click OK. The Page Setup dialog box closes.
6. Print the topic. The topic prints without the title, page numbers, URL, and print date in the header and footer. Note: If your .chm file is already open, you don't need to close it and re-open it for these changes to take effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2006 Dec 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That's good, but each user will have to perform the task on his own install of IE. I suspect that these are the default options for each browser install. Accordingly, I suggest including these steps in your documentation if you intend for the user to print the topics without that information. (Did that make sense?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp