• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot select ADE 2.0 as the default programme for .acsm file

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2012 Dec 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can anyone help me with this issue.  I was at one point able to download a file from my local online library resource and click on the downloaded file to open it in ADE, but recently this has changed.  I have tried de-authorizing and having no authorization, I have uninstalled and re-installed using chrome and IE both with no luck.  I am trying to set the default programme for the .acsm file as ADE and it does not appear in the "other" programmes list and does not add to that list when I browse to add it, it just does not add.  Can anyone provide feedback why this may be and how I can remedy?  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are more likely to get an answer in the ADE forum.

[topic moved to Adobe Digital Editions forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a Windows oddity rather than an ADE one.

But first, check if ADE is working by opening ADE, and drag-dropping a downloaded .acsm file from Windows Explorer onto ADE.

(For some reason, my older version of ADE does not seem to allow a .acsm file to be opened with the normal file open dialog.)

If that doesn't work there is probably something wrong with your ADE installation.

Windows is sometimes stroppy with adding to the programs list.

1. Is ADE installed in the normal place in 'C:\Program Files'?
    I have found it often refuses to add programs that live elsewhere (some odd idea of security?)
  2. You could try browsing to the StartMenu shortcut item rather than the exe itself and seeing if that works any better
    (or the .exe itself if you had previously tried the Start Menu item).
    No idea why this should work, but ...
  3. Give up and use drag-drop from the downloaded file instead (irritating, but better than nothing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks so much for the information, I will give it a go and post results. Cheers again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried moving ADE to C:\Program Files from - C:\Program Files (x86) and I tried uninstalling and installing directly to C:\Program Files. After each attempt I tried 1. opening a downloaded epub book from my local online library, and 2. setting the default programme for the .acsm file to the ADE saved in C:\Program Files.  I also tried uninstalling and installing to the desktop, on the remote possibility this would work, nothing seems to.

When you say - try browsing to the StartMenu shortcut item rather than the exe - I guess you mean when trying to set the default programme for .acms, I dont know where in the C drive to find this or maybe I misunderstand, thanks for the help anyway

I dont seem to be able to drag and drop either.... I am at a loss, thanks again... regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds most odd.  Several suggestions, but I'm afraid I don't have much confidence in any of them.

1. If you are on Vista, see the announcement at the top of the forum,
    which points to http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/installing-digital-editions -20-windows.html

2. Temporarily turn off your anit-virus and see if ADE will run as you wish.

3. Find the ADE .exe file in explorer, right click, and 'Run as Administrator'

4. Try an older version v1.7.2 of ADE.  There have been quite a few issues with ADE2.0, but I haven't heard of this as one of them.
    Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.
    http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editio ns.html
    also for PC at http://www.tucows.com/preview/853736/Adobe-Digital-Edition-For-EBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you again for your help, I will give these a go. Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines