• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

best Budget Graphics Card for Pr CS6 editing

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking to build an i5 3570 based windows editing computer in the coming months and I am looking for suggestions on a graphics card to be used with Premiere Pro CS6. I will not be using this system for high volume video editing, probably 1-4 5-15 minute projects a month using Canon DSLR footage and a few motion graphics in AE.

I would like to purchase a Nvidia card under $200 to be used with the "hack" to enable it to help in editing. This system may also end up being used for gaming, but it's not a priority. I have tried looking around online to see if anyone has made a list of best non approved nvidia cards for Mercury Playback but I was unable to find anything.

Are there certain things to look for in a graphics card when it comes to working with Premiere and AE? Number of CUDA cores, core clock, memory type? I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to computers but I am willing to learn if it helps me find the card that best fits my needs.

A little info on my idea for the build

i5 3570

16-32gb 1600 DDR3 ram

128gb SSD for OS

a few HDDs for work/scratch

Any help is much appriciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

Of the current generation GeForce GPUs, the GTX 650 Ti would be about the best that you can do unless you happen to find a GTX 660 in that range (normally, the GTX 660 is just above your price limit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL,

thank you for the suggestion! How much performance gain would the gtx 660 have over the gtx 650 Ti? Depending on my returns this year I may be able to stretch my budget a bit so if the GTX 660 is worth the price difference I might be able to go for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a GTX 650 Ti with 2GB VRAM to replace a GT 240 and it rocks. It surpassed my expectations. The GT 240 was not bad either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that the GTX 650 Ti is roughly as fast as a non-Ti GTX 560 from the previous generation. Sure, it is a nice improvement over el-cheapo GPUs, but I feel that the GTX 660 is a better buy for a little more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2012 Dec 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GTX 650 Ti is not faster non-Ti GTX 560. Testing budget cards in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6:

http://translate.google.ru/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fw...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Canon DSLR footage

1st, for that type of video, you might want to look at the i7 3770 CPU instead of an i5 - unless you like waiting for things to happen... DSLR video is very CPU intensive

2nd, For a PARTIAL comparison of nVidia cards http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/GPU.HTM with prices and CUDA cores and bandwidth

ADDED

PC I built for my wife http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM would do very well for Premiere Elements, plus scroll down a page or two for 3 price/performance level computers for Premiere Pro... these are, of course, MY ideas about what to build, if I was building a new computer for myself... YOUR ideas may wind up being different

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Thanks for the suggestion on the i7 over i5, I think I will make that jump. I don't plan on using this system for business but jumping to the i7 would make that transition easier if it were to happen. Thankyou also for the links, very usefull information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now when there is the HASWELL Processor. Would you then skip the graphic card and rely on the haswell i7-4770(K) for your wifes configuration or would you still add a graphics card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know enough about the Haswell CPU to comment... other than to say that **in general** it is better to have ram on the video card rather than using system ram

Also, she has 2 monitors so I needed to be sure of having 2 connections

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now when there is the HASWELL Processor. Would you then skip the graphic card and rely on the haswell i7-4770(K) for your wifes configuration or would you still add a graphics card?

Depends on your marital status. How much do you love her (get a dedicated card) or hate her (skip a dedicated card).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there certain things to look for in a graphics card when it comes to working with Premiere and AE?

Yes.  You want to make sure the card is using GDDR5 memory, at least 1GB, more is better.  The second thing you want is the most number of CUDA cores you can afford.  The third thing to look for is the memory bandwidth.  You'll see numbers like 192 bit, 256 bit, 320 bit etc.  Higher is generally better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a bit of research and combining everyones suggestions, I am going to be building a system with these major components

i7 3770

32gb ddr3 1600 ram

GTX 660 with 2gb of ram

128gb SSD

two 2tb HDD's

I will report back (probably in the next month or so) with my build and it's performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do be sure to buy a case with mountings for optional fans to push a LOT of air through the box... there are links in the ADOBE.HTM link I posted before to mid-tower and full tower cases... the full tower case comes with 4 case fans

Also be sure to get a power supply that is large enough to drive everything

Use the Power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (the PRO version has more options) to determine your power supply needs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to keep all of that in mind when I get my shopping list together. This will actually be the first PC I've ever built, but between internet resources, friends, and family I've been able to wrap my head around this and hopefully I can pull it off without a problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>first PC I've ever built

2 how to build videos http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1104182

-another video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1145366

-another video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1132363

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines