8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 7:31 AM by heathrowe

Timeline UI question

jdhughen Level 1

All,

I'm from a AE background. For my own use I kind of equate Edge Symbols with a AE "comp".  In the current project I'm experimenting with I have quite a few symbols mixed on the TL with image Divs type elements. I noticed that on the TL there doesn't seem to be any quick eye recognition difference between a symbol and a regular div, or text div, or image div. I know that over in the elements and lib that the different element types have different little icons but on the TL there doesn't seem to be anything like that. Did I miss something?? The assignment of color to a "layer" or "track" element in the TL seems to be random ??? Is there anyway for the user to pic colors for different types of elements like one would do in AE to easily tell the difference between different type of elements? or can the user change the element TL color at all ?  I tried clicking on the little color block to the left of the twirlie/eyeball/name like one would do in AE but that doesn't do anything.   In fact I can't find any UI or other user "Prefs" any place. Is this something that just hasn't been added yet ??

Thanks

Joel

• 1. Re: Timeline UI question
          jdhughen Level 1

More UI questions....

1.Trying to setup a dual screen workspace and I can't find a way to put the TL or the Stage on separate different screens. All the other panels I can move. Is this as designed ? I have close to 50 elements on one TL and I want to be able to put the TL on a separate screen so I can see it all without having to scroll up/dn all the time. One would think that these 2 panels would be the most common candidates for wanting more/separate screen space. Can this be done ?

2. If I have the TL grid set to 24 or 30, is there some way to advance the playhead one frame in either direction ?  like with a keyboard short to "snap to next grid line"?  I'm trying to animate an object along a curved path so Im' having to do it frame at a time. It's a pitb to have to manually grab the play head and move it to the next grid line (ie frame).

3. As far as I can tell the "eyeballs" on the TL just effect the stage screen display and do not effect whether or not an element is visible in the "published" animation. Is that As Designed ??  ex I have several "guide" layers and it seems I have to go to the properties panel to turn the visibility on/off.

Thanks

Joel

• 2. Re: Timeline UI question
            jdhughen Level 1

4. Is there a way to display(expand element keyframes on the TL) only the keyframes of a particular property like in AE ?  in selected elements ?

• 3. Re: Timeline UI question
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

1. To undock the Timeline, its a little obscure, compared to the other Panels. To the immediate left you should see the 'handler' to drag or right click and choose your option. See attached.

capture-0255.jpg

2. You can toggle to next/previous Keyframe by using the Ctrl + Left Key (for Previous) or Ctrl + Right Arrow Key (for Next).

3. Yes - its as designed. To prevent a selected element from showing in the output, you can use the 'Off' visibility option (preferrably at the 0 position of the Timeline)

capture-0257.jpg

Darrell

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Timeline UI question

4. I am not that familiar with AE timeline, but you can have a look at the Expand/Collapse option (at the top) and the Show Animated Elements Only filter command (at the bottom).

capture-0258.jpg

• 5. Re: Timeline UI question
                  jdhughen Level 1

Darrell,

Thanks. I found those expand/collapse features but what I was looking for is the ability to only expand to show certian properties. For example... I have 20 elements, each has animated top, left, scale, color, and transparency. To reduce the screen space required only show transparency keyframes of the selected elements. In AE you can just select layers and hit the "t" key and all the transparency keyframes are expanded but the others are still twirled up. I guess it's just something they haven't gotten to yet.

Do you know why when you try to "marqee" select a group of keyframes it selects all the keys in element not not just the ones you are covereing with your marquee ?? I've tried using all the mod keys but still get the same behavior. The only way I've been able to selectively select keyframes within an element or elements is to shift click each one invidualy. a real pain. I'm I missing something ??

Joel

• 6. Re: Timeline UI question

A. Unfortunately, no toggle of 'idividual properties' is not possible.

B. If there is a 'tween' between two keyframes I believe the tween bar takes precedence (thus auto selecting the 'to' and 'from' keyframe markers), over the individual keyframe markers. However if you do get the multiple keyframe selections, and you want to 'deselect' one from the selection, hold the Ctrl/Command Key then click that keyframe marker. It will be excluded from the selection.

hth

Darrell

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Timeline UI question
                      bstfn

Hey jdhughen

do you got an answer for your color question 'if there is a way for the user to pic colors for different types of elements'? Like in AE it would be very userfriendly if there is a funktion to give similiar elements the same color.

greetings.

• 8. Re: Timeline UI question

Unfortunately, no - the element color codes are randomly generated and cannot be user selected.

Darrell