Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM10 Crashes when Convert CMYK colors to RGB selected

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I have searched for info on this issue and found a couple of items but I'm still having problems doing what I need to do.

First off, FM 10 version is 10.0.2.419. PC is Dell E6420 laptop, Win 7 SP1, 8GB RAM, big hard drive. No existing Adobe software before installing TCS 3.0 from local files (copied from DVD).

At first I could not create a pdf (using File > Save as PDF) at all on this system (my old XP system still works fine with TCS 3.0). Instant crash and error messages (Internal error 10024, 7687848, 7688138, 10076935.). After reading the discussions, I cleared the check box for Convert CMYK colors to RGB, which allowed me to create the pdf. However, my colors are washed out completely. So I need to be able to select this check box without the crash.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... Win 7 SP1 ...

32 or 64-bit mode?

FM10 may not be considered officially supported in 64.

Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise edition of Windows? And what CPU?

If any of these, and the CPU has hardware virtualization, you might try installing XP and running FM in that.

If it's Windows Starter through Home Premium, it refuses to run XPM.

Since you have TCS, and full Acorbat Pro, you might also try printing to .ps and Distilling separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

Intel Core i7-2640M CPU @2.80 GHz  2.80 GHz

Thanks for the suggestions. But for the lack of one check box? Don't think I'll be virtualizing and running XP. I Will try the print to postscript and distill.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(1)     Although FrameMaker 10 is a 32-bit application, there was no issue with it running under Windows 7 64-bit. You certainly don't need to run it under any XP mode!!!!

(2)     There were any number of save as PDF bugs in FrameMaker 10 that were fixed in various updates, but typically they were associated with when one didn't check that convert CMYK to RGB option (that uses the native Windows GDI for PostScript creation).

(3)     Rather than printing to File and distilling, try printing directly to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Yes, on item 2, I noticed folks having issues with the check box NOT selected. Mine does seem to be just the opposite.

When I click File > Print Setup, select Adobe PDF from the Name list, and click OK, the dialog box just blinks and won't accept the printer change. Only other option is Cancel. So I went into Windows and selected Adobe PDF as my default printer and tried restarting Frame. It came up with a window stating fonts could not be found, or were not associated with the printer. Only option was OK and close.

It gets curiouser and curiouser!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use the SetPrint plugin to set your default printer within your FM session to the Adobe PDF printer instance.

From what you describe, your copy of Acrobat may be pooched. Do you know if you selected the “headless” version when you installed FM10 along with the Pro version in the TCS3 bundle? There were some instances of the installer not turning off the “headless” copy when the full copy was present. You may have to uninstall/reinstall in all again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Not familiar with the term "headless" so I can't say whether I did so or not. Can you describe how that applies to the installation?

And, does the SetPrint plugin work with Win 7 64-bit?

Thanks.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standalone installs of FM have a version of Acrobat Distiller that doesn’t allow you to tinker much under the hood like you can with the full version of Acrobat Pro – that’s why it got the term headless applied to it – it’s sort-of magic – you just Save As or Print to PDF and it just happens; with the Pro version you get a full screen of controls and options to play with.

SetPrint works fine with Win7 64 bit with FM10 & 11 – it’s a great freebie – all your other Windows programs can be set to whatever physical printer is in use while FM thinks its default is Adobe PDF. No more messing around with your default Windows Printer settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Installed SetPrint and I'm getting a message in FrameMaker Console that the printer has been changed to Adobe PDF. But still no luck when I select the Convert CMYK colors to RGB check box.

To recap, everything works fine EXCEPT when I select that check box. Seems like Adobe should be aware of this issue?

Does anyone know the best way to submit a question like this to Adobe or where to check for a possible solution? I appreciate everyone's help but I'm still stuck.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since most people were experiencing issues when they didn’t select that flag, I’d suggest contacting Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can find the bug report form here (although the site seems to be

down at this particular moment):

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error7103,

I tried the print to postscript/distill method. No luck. I created the ps file in FM fine, but when I open it in Distiller, I get an error message:

%%[Error: syntaxerror; OffendingCommand: ?]%%

%%[Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored]%%

%%[Warning: PostScript error: No PDF file produced.}%%

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> However, my colors are washed out completely.

Are you on the latest patch level for FM10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Error7103,

Yes, when I click Help > Updates in FM, my Adobe Application Manager tells me all applications are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What FM version is reported by the About dialog?

Here's the patch page to check:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows

re: headless

Stand-alone FM includes a different implementation of Distiller vs. the full Acrobat Pro product. If you install Acro Pro first, then FM, and don't disable certain options, it can degrade, and perhaps damage, your Acro pro (which has the full version of Distiller).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM 10 version is 10.0.2.419 as shown in Help > About.

I installed FrameMake/Acrobat as a part of Adobe Technical Communications Suite 3.0. I copied the files from the original DVD to my local C drive and installed from there. Really didn't see an option for any particular order. Thought Adobe would take care of that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines