4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 2:11 PM by JustHater

Vector in Photoshop is no vector?

JustHater Level 1

Hello everyone.

How can i open up in Indesign or Illustrator photoshop's vector layer. If i pool out this object from Photoshop to Indesign or Illustrator this is rendering object. Why? It's vector object!

Thanks!)

• 1. Re: Vector in Photoshop is no vector?
          MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Double click on the smart vector object layer icon (not the layer name.)

Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 2.01.38 PM.png

This will open in Illustrator.

Vector Smart Object in Photoshop will resize to the resolution of the Photoshop file.  So they are vector while in Phothsop(ofocurse they have to be vector originally), but when you print print at the resolution of your Photoshop file.

• 2. Re: Vector in Photoshop is no vector?
            JustHater Level 1

No, i mean this type vector objectsU22222222.jpg

If i convert this in SO it will be in Photoshop, anyway.

• 3. Re: Vector in Photoshop is no vector?
              emil emil Level 4

In Illustrator, File > Open and choose the Photoshop file. In the Open options choose Convert Layers to Objects.

If you want only the paths you can just copy from Photoshop and paste in Illustrator. Or File > Export Paths to Illustrator. There will be no color thought - the vector objects in Photoshop do not have color attributes they are only paths used for masking the raster fill of a layer or for making raster based selections. They've made the Convert Layers to Objects option assigns the color of a shape layer to to the fill of the converted object in Illustrator but this can't be done with copying or exporting paths because you can draw paths without a shape layer in Photoshop.

edit: if I remember, make sure all paths are entirely within the canvas area or they may not show in Illustrator