• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot place images into Illustrator CS6...

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot import images into Illustrator CS6. Dragging in doesn't work. "Place" command doesn't work. Any ideas? I have uninstalled and re-installed.

TOPICS
Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

I think it is the new FontExploerer Plugin, I have disabled it, and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

That is puzzling indeed. Could you please respond with a few details about what kind of images you're trying to place, and what OS you're on? This will help anyone who's faced this problem before suggest the right solution.

You could also take a quick peek at the "File formats supported for placing" section in the Supported file formats | Illustrator article. Do note that you cannot place FreeHand (fh7, fh8, fh9, fh10, fh11, ft11) files in Illustrator CS6.

Regards,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

Did you use the Cleaner Tool between uninstalling and reinstalling?

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Otherwise, you may still be stuck with corrupt preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Used the cleaner tool as suggested by Jacob Bugge. That did not works, so I removed all pref files myzelf, rebooted my computer and tried it again.

No luck. Illustrator CS6 still does not accept any images. I reinstalled Illustrator CS5.5 and that does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting back, sanderdtp, so one of the usual suspects could be ruled out.

When it worked in CS5.5, did you have all the same (other) applications running?

It is conceivable that the usual suspects mentioned in Item 7 in Other options might have found a new way of distrfacting Illy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was running Fontexplorer, Indesign CS5.5, Mail, Firefox while opening Ai Cs5.5.

But I asked my collegae next to me to open his Illustrator CS6 en check if he had the same problem. He did not. He runs the same operating system as me.

So, lets wait untill more people experience this bug. I'm curious if my computer or Illustrator cs6 is to blame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue with Illustrator CS6. Currently, it's having trouble placing a photoshop file, but it also had trouble yesterday placing a png, and a jpeg. The only file type I could get to place reasonably was a PDF. Resaving my PSD to a PDF allowed me to place the file and continue working, but this is obviously not ideal.

Unfortunately, I don't use Illustrator often enough between updates to know if the latest update caused the issue, or if this has been a problem for a while longer than that. I can say that about a month or so ago, placing PSDs worked just fine for me in CS6.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this issue. I've trashed preferences. I've also uninstalled an re-installed and the problem is still present. The only files I can place are PDFs.

This is quite a big problem as 90% of my Illustrator workflow revolves around tracing and vectorising bitmap images.

Any other things I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all of you affected by this: What OS and version? What version of AI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having difficulty trying to trace raster images.  I am not using any plug ins just a newly installedversion of cs6 master collection on windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! im having the same problem...i was using it the week before just fine, but i tried to use it this week and it crashes. Im working on a mac mountain lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, can't place JPEGs and PSDs too.

AI CS 6

Mac OS X 10.7.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is the new FontExploerer Plugin, I have disabled it, and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that is a good one.

I updated the fontexplorer plugins today and I could not place any images in Illustrator anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jörg,

Thank you. Another usual suspect to be added in Item 7 in the Other options mentioned in post #4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always suspect updates, new fonts, new installations, utility software and the like as a possible source.

And no matter what you might think and as far unrelated as you can imagine that such situations can effect another application totally unrelted consider one thing, all of them make a preference of some kind and all of those are contained within the systems or users preferences folder and it is there were the conflict can take place.

The way that works is if it writes the preference the wrong way the poreference may then be directed at the preference from another application, the other application may not interpret that directive to mean what it is supposed to mean and you got yourself a short circuit.

Thought you guys can turn this expereince into a real valuable tool in the future and save yourselves valuable time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed the latest plug-in for Illustrator 5.1 in FontExplorer X. I had no idea that this would the cause when I was unable to place images in Illustrator. I removed the plug-in in FEX and I was able to place images again. Hopefully Linotype will fix this soon.

Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Not a Bug, It's a Feature! This is new feature from Linotype from Font explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was in a complete panic, having just installed Mountain Lion on my Mac -- and suddenly I can't place any images in Illustrator; placing a jpeg crashes it instantly, and all of my documents show blank areas where the images were. I was just about to reinstall my Mac OS to go back to Lion when I saw this thread... and yes, turning off the plug-in solved it instantly. THANKS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panic ye not! Anyway, FontExplorer know about this problem which wasn't apparent during testing and are working on an update as soon as possible... which is good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Plugin deactivation worked for me as well: Ai CS 5.1, OSX 10.7.4

What's interesting though: I installed the new plugin two days ago and everything kept working, just until a few minutes ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Illustrator CS5.5 (went back from CS6 because of a lot of freezes) and just upgraded to Mountain Lion. Yesterday upgraded the Font Explorer plugins and today could not open SVG files (in CS5.5 and CS6). I'm very glad I found this topic, cause also for me removing the FEX plugin solved the problem. Glad also to read that someone already found out Linotype is working on it. Thank all for the searching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!! i've been trying to fix this one for a few hours now! 😕 now I'll be off to try to recoup the time lost...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you disable it? I'm using Mac. Someone said the file can be removed but I don't find it, it should be in Macintosh HD > Apps > Adobe Illustrator CS6 > Plug-ins but it isn't there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a new MBP with the latest updates installed? This one

Screen+Shot+2012-06-28+at+1.24.15+PM.png

then there have been reports of problems with esp InDesign. Go here for a discussion and maybe a way around it

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1024105?start=30&tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines