• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I open a cpbackup file? Help!

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Captivate 6 crashed while saving an entire morning's work. To say that I'm frustrated and fed up with this application is an understatement. Fortunately, it created file called projectname.cptx.cpbackup but I'm not able to open it. I sincerely hope I am able to recover this file. Someone please help!

TOPICS
Getting started , Project upgrade

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Change the extension to .cp or .cptx – depends on which version of Captive you’re using.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the extension to .cp or .cptx – depends on which version of Captive you’re using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that worked!

To Adobe:

I'm still extremely frustrated with the performance and usability of Captivate, especially given the high cost. It becomes unresponsive many times per day, breaks all standards of the way other Adobe products work and is big pain to manipulate files, change font styles, etc. I seriously doubt I will continue to use it once my current project is finished. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by any chance using it over a corporate network?

What does it say under Preferences > General > Default Locations?  Does it point both fields to folders on your own hard drive?

What are the specs of your PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a university network and Publish At is on a network drive while Project Cache is on my C: drive.

Specs:

Core 2 Duo 3 GHz

4 GB RAM

64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The network drive Publish location probably explains a lot of your performance issues.

Set up a folder on your local C drive instead and use that for publishing to.

If your publish location is NOT on your local hard drive, where are your CPTX project files kept?  If they are also on the network, there's the other part of your problem.  Copy them down from the network to a folder on your hard drive and work on them from there. Never SAVE AS to the network. Never open Captivate project files across the network, because that will mean Captivate remembers those locations and will try to find them every time you use the app.

Just upload backup copies of your project files to the network location at the end of work each day.  Not only will you get far better performance, you'll also avoid lots of potential issues with corrupted projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources