• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"new" colours – now you see 'em, now you don't

Advisor ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Painstakingly recreating the suspect chapter, starting from a new, empty document and testing at every stage, I have somehow overcome the "earlier than FM 6.0" and un-optimized PDF problems. But so not to make things too easy for me, FM threw out a whole new set of error messages:

maker: Print setting for color Dark Grey is inconsistent in pinForms_p1.fm.
maker: Print setting for color Pale Green is inconsistent in pinForms_p1.fm.
maker: Print setting for color Forest Green is inconsistent in pinForms_p1.fm.
maker: Print setting for color Royal Blue is inconsistent in pinForms_p1.fm.
maker: Print setting for color Mauve is inconsistent in pinForms_p1.fm.
maker: Print setting for color Light Salmon is inconsistent in pinForms_p1.fm.
maker: Print setting for color Olive is inconsistent in pinForms_p1.fm.
maker: Print setting for color Salmon is inconsistent in pinForms_p1.fm.

More Holmes work revealed that in the FM10 template file called by File > New > Document > Blank Portrait … everything from Dark Grey to Salmon is set to Don't print. As far as I remember, the ancestor or avatar I used to get all my styles into the FM 10 platform at work would have started life as File > New > Document > Blank > Portrait in FM 9.

• have these colour settings changed between 9.0 and 10.0
  • if so, is "why?" a meaningful question
  • is there any advantage in having unused colour definitions set to Don't print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you need to MIFwash all of this stuff.

Designate one file to be the color reference.

Define all used colors as desired.

Import to all other files.

Delete unused colors in all files (if you can't delete them, they aren't unused).

"Don't print" in color Defs should be unnecessary.

Use Color Views to switch author/review-only colors on and off.

The "inconsistent" can be as trivial as Spot vs. Process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niels,

These are not "error" messages, rather FM's way of syaing that you have different settings for the colours applied in different chpaters - hence, inconsistent. It really won't affect your output either, unless you actually have content in some of those colours and perhaps set to not print - then they will disappear from thee relevant chapter.

If you've set some colours to "Do not print" in some chapters, but not in others, then this is the likely cause of the message. There is no advantage to this setting unless you are painstakingly trying to create individual Spot colour plates for some arcane woorkflow from the last century...

If you want to have some colours that contain content that you do not want to output, then a don't print setting will also be useful. I tend to prefer to use the Color Views and set some custom colours to "Invisible" in View 1 (the default) and have them show in View 6. This way I can quickly toggle on/off (esc v 6 - switches to view 6; esc v 1 - switches back to view 1) guide lines, background grids, comment frames (text frames with processing instructions or some form of comment) - works much like a "layer" in Illustrator or Photoshop, except it is based solely on colour attributes, not objects themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks – I'll avoid using the blank template for now, since I'm usually extending a doc set by duplicating an existing chapter, and may check it one of these days so that its colour settings match those I'm used to using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Niels,

The easiest fix is to import just the "Color Definitions" from the good file into all others in the book and your template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines