Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unused Files and Version Control

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All -

We have several files (images mostly) that are unused at the end of each year in our Help file.  We also have 3 users in version control.

In the past, as I recall, we have had to use the following process to remove these unused files:

1.  Remove the file from version control (otherwise, the unused files are just downloaded right back from version control once deleted)

2.  Have one person use Windows Explorer to remove (delete) the images/files locally from their drive.

3.  Add the file and now clean version with removed unused file back to version control.

4.  Have each person that needs the new file remove their own local (and now out of date) copies and re-download the now updated file from version control.

We updated to RoboHelp 9 last year and I guess I was hoping that Adobe made this a less labor intensive and manual process.  However, googling has netted me no results to indicate this is true.    Can anyone else speak to this or give me a better process?  We went through a complete graphic overhaul with our software (and Help as a result) and I have 50 pages of unused images printed out as a result.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tammy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The method of removing unused images is to manually delete them in Windows Explorer. Your extra steps are simply because the project is in source control.

I wonder if there is some way of developing a script to do this. If you don't have that capability, perhaps you could commission Willam to write one. It sounds as if the cost would be worthwhile. Contact Willam via his site at http://www.wvanweelden.eu

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp