• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Version seems incorrect on Flash Player 11.5.502.135 (distribution license version)

Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded the distribution license version of Flash Player 11.5.502.135.  In checking the version of the file after downloading it seems to be Flash Player 11.5.502.110.  Is the version wrong on the file, or is the file the wrong version?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you see the version?

What's the version shown by the following page? http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sunil,

It was from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html.  The download was labeled 135, but the file properties indicated 110.

However, today the version of the downloaded file is correct.   I'm good to go. 

Thanks,

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you by any chance download the MSI installer?  It happens often that such installers are downloaded from a cached version on some corporate servers instead of the newest installer from the Adobe download site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat,

It was from Adobe's distribution website  http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html.  The download was labeled 135, but the file properties indicated 110.  This was true of the .exe.   The MSI didn't have a version in the properties that I could see, but the file downloaded today has a different size from when I posted the problem initially so I believe it is updated.  The exe file is definately updated as the properties do contain the file version.  Although the final test will be the version showing when we actually run the install.

Thanks,

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded both exe installers from the distribution page, and both are 11.5.502.135.

You must have caught a cached version somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced this problem with the .110, .135 and now with .146 version.

This is only with the Windows .msi file for FP ActiveX. Executable file is fine, correct and clearly shows the proper version.

The correct version of the .msi file appears 1-2 weeks later.

Please fix this. I build update packages, so speed is the essence of the effort. 

Usually, my package fails and I must troubleshoot the cause - only to find the installs fine - only as the previous version.

Let me add that there is no version information shown in the Windows File Details tab of the file information - as with the executable file.

Don't know if this information is possible to add, but it would save me the trouble of running a manual install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of a problem here but I'm asking around.  As Pat mentioned, this is usually caused by a cached version but since the exe checks out I'm following up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a cached version, it is very consistent.

If so, then the site configuration or refresh settings probably need to be adjusted.

My experience suggests it is more likely a human error - someone forgets the msi and comes back and fixes it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2013 Jan 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wayne Price wrote:

If it is a cached version, it is very consistent.

The cached version is in your environment, not on the Adobe servers.  I have observed this phenomenon for many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a chance.  When you can successfully download the same msi file from two separate networks, with three different workstations and accounts - and from a home system, then it is NOT cached on this end (or should I say ends).  The same issue has occurred the past three versions as they were released, and other users have confirmed the issue. Doesn't happen on Adobe Reader/Acrobat X or Shockware either.

It is most likely that the Adobe site has just not been completely updated. I have observed human errors like this since for many,  many years.   😉

BTW, the .146 executable works fine as a manual install and past msi files have worked fine when they were finally posted. I usually cannot use the executable because I need to have a silent and unattended install without resetting any configuration settings, and the MSI seems to work better for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with Wayne.   I've used every mechanism I can think of to clear any potentially cached pages and I still get version 135.  I even installed Firefox to try using a different browser and I still get version 135.

One of my coworkers gets 146... but another coworker gets 135.

I don't have this problem with other downloadable patches/updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me help you. Change the file name to identify the version. Voila! unique name! Cached only as that name/version.

Obvious if msi was not updated because the file name will reflect the old version.

[BTW, I save your downloads as "install_flash_player_11_5_502_135_active_x.msi'  or similar so I can tell what version the file is for.]

The current adobe msi files have no identification of the version other than the web page title preceding the link.  (Can right click EXE files in windows and the File Details tab will show version info.) The only way I know of checking to see if the Adobe msi link is pointing to a new file version is to check binary size or hash or look at file date-time (not so reliable).When I download your MSI file under .146, it matches the binary size of the .135 patch version.  (Download changes creation date-time.)

You probably use the same file name so web site page manager does not have change a web page or handle a variable file name. A good web programmer could fix this easily. Not difficult to append together version info an insert into a file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.  I've passed this along to the web production team that prepares and hosts these files.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding Chris, but my problem was using Flash Player 11.5.502.146 an had to do with continually getting a dialog box saying Flash Player had stopped a potentially unsafe operation.  Let me know if I need to resend further info. Thanks,  Bruce Hooper

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes. The true 11.5. 502.146 version of the MSI has finally been posted.  The downloaded file size changed from 16,847,366 to 16,858,624 bytes.

The former size exactly matches the 11.5.502.135 patch file size.  Coincidence? I think not.  Adobe could just disable the download link until the real patch file is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@BDhooper2 - It sounds like you're running into a different problem.  Could you please start a new thread and give us details regarding your OS, browser, and steps to reproduce?

@Wayne Price - I'll make a note to try these out from home the next time we update.  I'll also push to try and get the filename changed to include the version number.  Here's what I'm currently seeing (the version numbers were taken from Orca, specifically the Property/ProductVersion string.)

File Name                                              Version                MD5

install_flash_player_11_active_x.msi        11.5.502.146         12f6757a8ab8bdf0b30e67da2f11bc1c

install_flash_player_11_plugin.msi            11.5.502.146        9d5344f0ff365f7100d4028cb21bb922

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines