• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I tried opening a project created with RoboHelp 8 with RoboHelp 10 and the ToC got corrupted.

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried opening a project created with RoboHelp 8 with RoboHelp 10 and the ToC got corrupted. I get to see a lot of broken links as well. How can I restore them all?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the RH forums.

Can you tell us a little more about the project? Are all the TOC entries broken or just some? If just some, are the broken links all related to one area? Have you linked Word or FrameMaker files? Could anything have changed with the content (e.g. the project source files being moved) between being created in RH8 and upgraded to RH10.

Sorry for all the questions but the answers will help us help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the awfully late reply...was completely unable to reply due to some unavoidable circumstances.

To answer all of your questions:

Yes all the ToC and Project Manager topics are broken. The broken links are not related to one area. No I have not linked Word or FrameMaker files. I could not make any changes to the content after the upgrade. 

I could not work with RH 10... had to move back to RH 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This very much sounds as if the project source files are not where they should be. Navigate to the directory in Windows Explorer where the files should be and see if they are there. If not, there is your issue. You'll need to find them and copy them there. If they are there, try closing the project, deleting the <projectname>.cpd file and reopening the project.

I should also have asked you if the project is located on a local or network drive. If the later, move the project files to a local drive and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would upgrade locally but so far I have not seen any problems with RoboHelp with Rh10 projects running on a network other than performance which is down to the network, not RoboHelp.

Today's test was from a Windows 8 laptop mapped to an external USB hard drive attached to another computer on the network. Worked just dandy.

Copying the files from wherever they are will not upgrade them to Rh10 format. I would either try the upgrade again or import the topics, not just copy them via Windows Explorer.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried deleting the .cpd file and reopening the project...didn't help.

The project is located on the local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2013 Jan 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How deep is the project path? Best practices dictates - c:\projects\[project_name]\

Try with a backup copy in that short path & see what results as an experiment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, the project path is - D:\Projects\ABC\Help\Release1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it make any difference? Is the resulting project still damaged?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Jeff, the project is still damaged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the RH8 project with anybody? If so, I can take a shot at updating it for you. PM me if you'd like to try - remember to exclude any \!SSL!\ folders from the zip since they're just output products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I don't think I should share the project with anyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's no problem - just offering ;>)

I think you may be stuck with repairing your project in RH10 - you could also try Adobe Support & see if they have any ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp