• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My most recent RH 9 project's published WebHelp suddenly will not open the books to display topics.

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My most recent RH 9 project's published WebHelp suddenly will not open the books to display topics. The start up page shows a "Done. Page in Error" message.  Any ideas why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you changed your browser to view the help? Can you look at it in the \!SSL!\WebHelp folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Yes, we were able to view the WebHelp folder inside the project's \!SSL! folder just fine.  This output is on a local drive.  The copy of the published WebHelp is on a company server and usually we have not had problems in the past with allowing employees to see the published WebHelp output over Internet Explorer 8.0 (browser).  I am wondering if we could be having a server issue by having the "Done with Errors" message appear on the Start up page.  We have made some minor updates to two or three topics before regenerating the project, then publishing it.  We have tested some other RH 9 WebHelp output on the same server and they are opening fine.

Nothing else has changed in our Technical Communication Suite version or in the browser but we continually receive security updates, etc.  We will try accessing this WebHelp first thing in the morning to see if anything has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2013 Jan 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the help is working in your browser when local, the issue has to be a server setting. You could confirm that by generating some other project and checking that locally and on the server.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be tempted to clear out all the project's help output files on the server & refresh anew with your locally generated help files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We discovered this morning that the same published WebHelp works fine (all books/topics opening from the server copy) if you access the help from another desktop.  This happens when using the same user ID/password, just a different desktop so we know it may be some local setting (for I.E. 8 browser...a security update ??)  We were able to open the WebHelp using Chrome on the original desktop fine. The silver lining is that we can now test further to see if other users are also able to display all of the books/topics using their user accounts and desktops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite sure what you mean by "another desktop" - is this another workstation (machine) or the same machine, but using a different Windows Profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Jeff, that is correct. Three of us have the Technical Communication Suite 3.5 installed locally, but the published output in WebHelp (SSL) is copied over to one of the corporate servers so that the users can view these projects via links seen on various web pages. The other author used her own login ID/password to the website to access the WebHelp project from my workstation using my unique Windows profile/account. I did not think that would affect anything, but we tried it anyway to see what other ‘users’ would encounter. Thankfully she could expand all of the books to view/access the topic pages.

Donna Copeland

Technical Writer - Franchise Systems

Express Employment Professionals | International Headquarters

8516 Northwest Expressway | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73162

405.840.5000 | ext. 4160

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL - would you like an apple, a banana, or a pear? - YES!

Sorry, I should have clearer - your answer to my question didn't actually specify what was "correct." I was unclear as to what "desktop" was meaning for you - were you talking about somebody at their own machine or were you talking about somebody logging into your machine with their own profile? Your response seems to indicate that it's the other person's login/password access to the server that's determining the issue - it shouldn't make any difference if they access it via your machine & profile or their own; server permissions are usually independant of where you are sitting.

Message was edited by: Jeff_Coatsworth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp