• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to mass apply conditional tags throughout an entire Project file?

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2013 Jan 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I know RoboHelp has the ability to hide particular text/values from online by right-clicking the text/value > Apply conditional build tag > Print to hide it from the output file.

However, I was wondering if RoboHelp has the ability to hide the same text and values from the output file all at once instead of locating them inside each topic and applying individual conditional tags to each one.

In my particular case, I would like to hide all the Page X values throughout the entire RoboHelp project file. However, I currently have to go through each Topic page to locate any Page X references to apply print conditional tags. My source file for these Topic pages is from a Word document.

If anyone knows a way or know if this is possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of - you either apply conditions to a portion of a topic or the entire topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Jeff won't mind me interfering here

You may be able to achieve this with a find and replace tool. You don't say what version of RoboHelp you have as RH10 has a reasonably good built in option (with some limitations). However it maybe better to use a tool like Helpware's FAR - http://www.helpware.net/FAR/ - which is specifically designed for this sort of thing. You'd need to determine the XHTML code around your Page X text, find it and replace it with the XHTML code for your build tag. Once you know the code to find and replace it should be fairly straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annnd I hope Jeff and Colum won't mind me offering one other tidbit.

There is a story said about a man that obtained a new word processor. He was gleefully demonstrating its amazing features to his buddy and said: Check this out! With a couple of clicks and keystrokes, I can change all letter As to letter Cs!

The friend was impressed.

The friend asked, how do you get things back to the way they were?

The man said: Oh that one's easy! You repeat the process and just change all the letter Cs back to letter As! (and that included all the letter Cs that were letter Cs to begin with!)

As you can see, the moral of the story here is that you need to be very careful when working with fnd and replace tools as it is soooo easy to influence things you never ment to!

Backup, Backup, Backup! (That way when things go wrong it's easy to get "back up"!)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Offering one other tidbit" sounds so much better that "interfering" Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if you felt I was interfering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. Ya I am not too familiar with XHTML to try and attempt what you recommended Column lol. I wish RoboHelp had a mass update feature to apply it to whatever text/values you wanted all at one time instead of manually doing it per topic page.

In regards to the Find/Replace method, I guess I'll just use the Find/Replace in a duplicated Word document of the original to remove any Page X references for my RoboHelp project file for now.

Thanks guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely not Rick. Interfere or offer tidbits as you see fit. My last post was a very poor attempt at humour. I had said that I was interfering which when I read your response made my response sound distinctly sinister and creepy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp