• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where do I find an unlock code for adobe digital editions?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2013 Jan 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t understand. Your answer to my question seems to be “moved to Adobe Digital Editions”. Huh!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understood your question, as there is no unlock code for ADE.  What it is you are trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I download books from the library into ADE and then try to open them, including books already in ADE, I am given the following message:

Unlock Code Needed; “This computer is not allowed to open (book).epub because this item is bound to a provider’s account.”

“To open this item on your computer, enter the account username and the unlock code associated with the item, then click in the open button.”

I have no idea what this is or where to find it. I have been trying for 4 days to find an answer but no seems to know. Any idea’s?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just verifying: all of this is just with ADE on a single computer; and does not involve use of any eReader or tablet device?

It may be that ADE has got its registration confused.

Try unregistering (ctrl-shift-D; cmd-shift-D on Mac), then reregister ( Library > Authorize Computer )

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just ADE on a single computer; and does not involve use of any eReader because I cannot transfer to my eReader.

You must understand, I am a 70year old woman with few computer smarts. I try but you must dumb things down for me. Where do I perform this maneuver (ctrl-shift-D). I opened ADE, clicked on Library and tried to unregister. It did not work. What now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just going back a bit to check exactly where you are; sorry for all the questions.

1. Have you ever managed to download and read a library book on ADE before?
  2. If you have read one before, you probably already have an Adobe ID.  Can you remember the Adobe Id and password?
  3. If you haven't read a library book on ADE before, you might not have an Adobe ID.  You will have to get a new one.
    To get an Adobe ID,
    1. goto https://www.adobe.com/uk/account/sign-in.adobedotcom.html
    2. click on 'Don't have an Adobe ID'
    3. fill out the information it asks for.

Once you have an (old or new) Adobe ID, try the following.

1. start ADE
  2. When you are in ADE, type 'ctrl+L'; which should bring up Library.
  3. Now type 'ctrl+shift+D'
  4. It will ask if you want to deauthoize; click the 'Deauthorize'
  5. You then need to Quit and exit ADE
  6. restart ADE
  7. ADE should ask for a registration
    Type in your Adobe ID and password.

Good luck ~ they do make it awkward even for people well used to computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! We had to scrub our hard drive because of virus’. Since then we have trying to restore everything. Takes time!!!!!! I have an Adobe ID. I did as you said and erased my registration and did it again with Adobe ID. Nothing! I have a call in to Adobe. Should get a call back sometime today. Maybe they can help me.

I do appreciate you attempts. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I think I have figured it out.  I purchased a book from Barnes and Noble, and when I downloaded it I recieved the message for a username and unlock code. The username is the name on which ever card (visa, mastercard, amx, ect.)  you used to purchase an ebook and the unlock code is the card number.  If you borrow an ebook from the library you would use your library card number and password.  I hope that helped to answer your question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 06, 2013 Feb 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may vary from library to library, but when I borrow a library book (Hampshire, UK) I need my card number to check out and download the .acsm file from the library Overdrive website, but then the authorization to ADE is my Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just given a Nook book as an e-gift from Barnes & Noble. I got the same message in my Adobe Digital Editions about the username and unlock code when trying to open it with ADE and initially couldn't find anything to make it work. However, when I turned on my Nook wi-fi and reloaded its library, it downloaded right away to the Nook. It only appeared in ADE when I had the Nook connected to ADE, but still couldn't open it without the username and unlock code. The gift giver's name and credit card number also didn't work. Then I found the answer in B&N's community forum... What worked was my name and credit card number on file in my B&N account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why ADE doesn't specify the information it requires to unlock a book is beyond me. But yes, my name and credit card on file with B&N did the trick for me, too. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why ADE doesn't specify the information it requires to unlock a book is beyond me.

As you will see from other posts, I think ADE is a terrible piece of software.

However, in this particular case it is somewhat justified.

Registering with the Adobe ID is relatively straightforward (unless something goes wrong), and works for most books.

However, some suppliers (such as B&N it appears) choose to use their own userid/password combination.

ADE won't know how each supplier sets up userid/password.

It could give a more useful generic hint, such as

'This book requires authorization with a vendor ID and password.  Check with the the vendor how this information should be provided.'

~~~

ADE is in an awkward position, as it needs to cater for people with few computer skills

(such as kate682: I am a 70year old woman with few computer smarts.).

As such, it should be exemplory in its user interface and the way it handles unexpected situations.

Instead, it is an apalling load of rubbish that is awkward for professional users even when everything goes OK,

is riddled with bugs, and creates its own 'unexpected' situations where they have no need to occur.

As an (otherwise) reputable software company, Adobe should be ashamed of themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very similar problem.  I downloaded a play script from the publisher and I think I blew past the Adobe ID part (I already had an ID).  I initially could open it (vendor ID) on laptop but not on android device.  When I tried the CTRL+Shift+D to reauthorize, I have now lost it on every device!  Any suggestions?  (Short of buying it again)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2015 Jan 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

I also have this problem - and the name on my credit card and its number won't unlock the account.  I've tried all the different permutations of the name on my card - and checked the name on my b&n account  None of these work

I have no trouble getting kobo book onto my nook - I will buy all books there in future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines