Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help for Google Nexus 7

Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a Google Nexus 7 from Chapters bookstore, and was told I could use the Kobo app to purchase e-books.  I did so, but am required to use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer them from my Kobo account to my tablet.  The Google Nexus 7 does not seem to be listed as a supported device for ADE.  Is this truly the case?  If the Nexus 7 is not currently supported, will it be?  Is there any way to transfer my e-books from ADE to this device?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you (1) trying to purchase a new book direct to the Kobo app on your Nexus,

or are you (2) trying to transfer an already purchased book that you purchased on a PC or similar?

(1) According to the Kobo app page http://www.kobobooks.com/android you should be able to purchase new books without involving any other devices or ADE.

They don't go into detail on the site so I can't say exacctly how; I assume the app has help that will tell you.

(2) You should be able to transfer an existing book by copying the .epub file (eg as described in http://www.wirefly.com/learn/how-to/how-to-transfer-files-and-music-to-an-android-phone-using-usb/ )

Make sure the Kobo app on your Nexus is registered to your AdobeID (the one you used when you bought the book).

You should then be able to open the copied file from the Kobo reader.

Failing that, try the Bluefire app on the Nexus ( http://www.bluefirereader.com/ )

Again, copy the file, make sure the Bluefire app is registered to your AdobeID, and open the copied file from the Blouefire app.

I know that works with iPad/Bluefire (of course Apple makes sure the copying part is more difficult), and don't see why it shouldn't work for Nexus/Bluefire

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I am trying to transfer an already purchased book from ADE to my Nexus 7.  I can read my books fine while logged in to the Kobo app, but that is only useful when I am online.  I need to able to have my books directly on the device since I don't always have access to wi-fi.  Kobo directed me to ADE, I downloaded it and copied all my books to it.  But the Google Nexus 7 is not listed as an ADE supported device, so ADE doesn't recognize my Nexus 7 as an e-reader and won't transfer the files to it.  I also tried to copy the files from my PC to the Nexus 7 via ADE and a USB cord, but I simply can't find them on the device afterward.  Someone more technically minded might be able to do it, but I'm not that person.

I am hoping that Adobe is working on adding the Nexus 7 as a supported device for ADE.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry I can't help with more detail about copying to the Nexus and finding the files, as I don't have an Android device.

Maybe somebody else who does will be able to step in and help?

I am afraid you probably won't see Nexus 7 (or any other Android) as a directly supported device in ADE;

it would be the eReader application (such as the Kobo app or Bluefire) that ADE would need to support on a non-dedicated device that is used as an eReader.

Adobe seem to rule that out in http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/transfer-ebook-ereader-digital-editions.html where they say

Only physical eReader devices can sync with Adobe Digital Editions.  If you are using an eReading application, within iOS or Android for example, contact the publisher of that application to determine how to transfer your eBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your help.  While I prefer to use the Kobo apps, since that is where I have already bought e-books, the Nexus 7 tablet does have its own Google Books program.  Unless someone else has any ideas, it may be that I will have to buy all my books again via Google Play - I'm just glad I didn't have an extensive library that would now be useless.

Thanks again.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more (last?) possible hope.

Going back to your earlier post you say  I also tried to copy the files from my PC to the Nexus 7 via ADE and a USB cord, but I simply can't find them on the device afterward.

It looks as if the Astro file manager app may allow you to find the files.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro&hl=en

Then open them in Bluefire or the Kobo app.

I haven't used Astro and can't vouch for it at all, but it may be better than buying all your books again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try it.  Thanks very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I don't know if you figured this out, but...

I also have a Nexus 7.  I have the Kobo app and once I sign in with my Kobo ID all my previously purchased books are downloaded automatically to the device.  It's pretty straight forward, but if you're still having issues let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have recently bought an Nexus 7 and have just installed the KOBO app and purchased a book but, can't read it, I'm not very technical, am I doing something wrong

please can you help, I am new to all of this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I probably can't help here, but I'm going to ask a question that might help someone else point you in the right direction.

Did you purchace the book direct from the Kobo app on the Nexus, with no need for a PC/Mac and no need for Adobe Digital Editions software?

• If so, you are probably on the wrong forum; maybe there is a Kobo or a Nexus forum where someone could give better help.
  • If not, can you explain exactly how you bought the book, how you transferred it, and how you are trying to read it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thanks for the info,  I actually installed the Kobo app on my nexus and this is where I bought the book but, like I said, I am a newbie to all of this and very un-technical, I just don't know how to read it

any help you can give, in basic language, would be appreciated

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know exactly how (looks as if tintedtictac may be able to help more; or someone on a Kobo forum),

but if you have bought the book and downloaded it to the Kobo app,

I would expect it to show up in that Kobo app,

and that if you tap on it there it would open to start reading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you got this sorted yet or not, but it's easy. Simply sign in to the Kobo app, tap on "Home" in the upper left corner. A new box will open. Tap on "Library" and all your books will download. Tap on the one you want and start reading. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Thanks for the help but, I still can not read my book, thankfully I have only the one, I can see it in my library and when I tap on it a short introduction comes up and that's all, this is SO FRUSTRATING, is there another kobo link, maybe I am on the wrong one, never thought it would be difficult, shall just stick to paperback in future.

stupid technology...or me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kobo tells me that using ADE is how to download books onto a non-Kobo e-reader, but ADE and the Nexus aren't compatible. I'll read using the Kobo app when I have access to Wi-Fi, and read the books I got from Google Play the rest of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem viewing my books when signed in to Kobo, but they don't download to the Nexus permanently so I can't read offline. As far as I can tell from all the info I've gotten, I can only get them through having the Kobo app open. I can turn off the Wi-Fi and keep the app open, but if I close it or shut down, they'll be gone. I'm resigned to it and now will have to buy from Google Play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines