• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MuseJSAssert: Error Calling Selector Function:[Object Error]

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched the MUSE community in various discussions and while "MuseJSAssert" discussions show up, NOTHING has been discussed online regarding the "Object Error". I cannot seem to make super simple changes on this page at all:
http://online.sfsu.edu/nroberts/research.html - I re-upload the same page that I know works but the user always gets this error message. 

In fact, I can't seem to make really easy changes on ANY of my pages any more w/o problems. And no matter how hard I try to call or contact MUSE Support, I'm told "someone will get back with you" OR "send me your file and I'll see if I can fix the problem" and I never hear back.  The responses by Adobe so far have been poor customer service b/c my problem is not being solved. 

At this point my website needs a complete over-haul - the HTML code is probably really screwed up also!  MUSE is nice color by number but I can also find NO way, no where to access HTML code.

I can be found at: nroberts@sfsu.edu - I pay for MUSE monthly and have been nothing but frustrated for over 6 months.  Also, I tried to get a local (San Francisco-based) tutor and Adobe never responded to how I can best find a consultant to pay to help me out!  I posted request on Craigs List to no avail.  I'd appreciate a direct contact from Adobe.

TOPICS
Bugs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NSRoberts,

It looks like one of your JS files is out of sync. I suspect that you're exporting your site locally and then uploading via a third party client. If you are doing this, make sure to upload all the files to your server to ensure that everything gets updated. Also, if FTP is an option, you can also use our built in FTP client in Muse from the file menu and Muse will only upload modified files (as long as that option is selected).

As far as access the HTML code, that isn't really possible in Muse. This is because Muse actually doesn't use HTML when you are building your page, and instead converts the page on export to HTML. That said, we do provide some tools, especially around text, which it looks like you might benefit from. The don't give you direct access to the code, but they should give you the controls you need to improve code Muse generates on your own.

The first is a tool to change which tag text is exported in. With the names of some of your classes, it looks like you'd like to include heading tags in your code (that is, <h1> and <h2> tags). You can do this by applying a paragraph style to a block of text. If you take a look at this AdobeKB Tutorial, it should help you figure out that aspect. Secondly, on your menus, I noticed you are using images to separate your menu items and give them rounded corners, but you can also accomplish this via the rounded corner controls within Muse and we will make sure it works across browsers. And lastly, I see you have a number of blank lines to space out your paragraphs, and at the moment, this can add a lot of mostly empty <p> tags. We are looking at ways to optimize this automatically, but you can fix this up in the meantime using paragraph spacing. This control is found in the text panel and looks like this:

Space Before and After.PNG

If you have other functionality that you are trying to accomplish with editing the HTML that you are unable to, please let us know. We probably won't be able to solve every case, but we are always looking for what functionality you want to be able to use in Muse.

Thanks,

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew or other MUSE expert ... I hear you and I read this reply three times ... First, I would like to send my MUSE files to a technician who can take a look.  My files need some serious cleaning up and I fear a lot of the mess relates to HTML.  Much of what you describe includes details that I'd like to try and practice.  However, until my files get cleaned up behind the scenes, none of this matters as I've been wasting $ every month.   I have updated pages dated 1/23/13 (as of today) that I'd like to upload but the files are so screwed up pages do not load properly so I revert back to the "10/11/12" files that I know work. 

Yes I am using a third party FTP:  FILEZILLA.  The Upload to FTP on MUSE does not work for me.  It does not accept the FTP details provided by the university where I work.  All specs are correct but MUSE always says "FTP not found", etc.

I've searched high and low on as many help pages and tutorials (including the video tutorials) for this:  How/where can I get information and specific instructions for setting up drop down menus with proper anchors?  A friend of mine set up the drop down menus but no longer has MUSE and is unable to help me out.  She suggested contacting MUSE Tech support and that's you all!  I am ready to fix the current issue but cannot figure out how nor is there any information on your MUSE help pages anywhere.  A rookie technician sent me the basics for setting up anchors so clearly did not understand what I meant.  Hence, adding to the "frustration" indicated in my first msge to you all.  I cannot fix the text by my "classes" b/c that is the main <INDEX> file - She adjusted the drop down menu on another web software and sent me just that index file.  I can upload it via FTP, but I cannot open it in MUSE to modify and add anything else b/c then the drop down menu no longer works.  Crazy, huh!?

I would like a technician to work with my files and fix all issues in the HTML - I will email the MUSE file, you all have a look and clean up each page, then email the MUSE file back to me.  I will then upload all files at once, as you describe above "to ensure that everything gets updated" - Right now I cannot do that b/c files are so screwed up.  hhheeeellllpppppp!!!! C'Mon - you all had a BETA testing version for months, now you charge people, and now we need assistance!  Please take care of this for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NSRoberts,

Unfortunately, sending along your files won't necessarily help solve your issue. You will need to be able to upload all of the files as Muse makes many changes from release to release which include changes to the structure of the HTML, and outputted JavaScript (which is currently causing your error). This is one of the reasons we don't recommend hand editing the code that Muse outputs, because we are always optimizing our code and output so that it is more efficient all the time. If you do edit pages outside of Muse, you should expect to make those edits whenever you reexport your pages. We are unable to change the way Muse exports your file so that your changes will be preserved.

In terms of learning how to set up menus, there are good guides on our AdobeKB site, Lynda.com has some tutorials, and of course, you can always ask here. If you have a manual menu and you are looking to add or remove items, you can do so by simply selecting a menu item, and then clicking one of the plus icons that appear, or just delete it. If you are having specific troubles, I can do my best to help you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same or a very similar error on all pages of my site.

The site is davidtossman.co.nz

The error is MuseJSAssertL Error calling selector function: TypeError: 'a' is not a function.

I am using the Muse internal FTP facility and checking with CuteFTP which indicates that all script files and suchlike are up to date.

(Strangely perhaps, the javascript bits on some pages work fine.)

Any ideas or suggestions?

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Do you get the error message when you preview it in a web browser as well?

Also, please try File>export as html and then check if the local copy (before uploading) works fine or not?

Regards,

Sachin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The local copy generates the same message. The preview does not. What now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi squirmer,

That is odd. I've taken a look at your site and it seems your JS file isn't getting updated appropriately. I'll investigate why that might be, but in the meantime, you should be able to fix the problem by opening up your FTP dialog, and at the bottom choosing to upload All files, rather than only modified files. After you do this once, it should hopefully fix your issue and you can switch back to uploading only modified files. If it does not fix the problem, let me know and we can investigate further as to what might be the problem.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrew.

Uploaded all files as suggested. No difference: same message appears. What fun we do have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that's troublesome. Can you export your file, zip the exported contents and send it along with your .muse file to muse-support@adobe.com with the subject ATTN: Andrew? If the files are larger than 20mb, you can use services like You Send It or Adobe SendNow to send it along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this same error, and I'm using Catylist even. The error only occurs in IE9, not in Chrome or FireFox. The page contains a Tabbed Panel.

Thanks! -Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having same problem on www.dallasluxuryrenting.com. Any ideas or suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

While working on this site www.soireesalonandspa.businesscatalyst.com I am getting the following error:

MuseJSAssert: Error calling selector function:TypeError: $(...).data(...) is undefined

from an online appointment booking website that I added to my Master page so that it will be available on all pages. Please help or at least point me in the right direction to fix this error...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NSRoberts, I have had the same issues as you have. Two issues, really: First, I get the javascript error but the page functions as it should. Second, I had to revert back to a previous version because I had all kinds of weird errors when a I did some minor updates a couple of months ago. The layout went screwy! I only made text changes. I'm actually scared to republish any changes right now because I'm afraid everything will go crazy again. Hence, I am trying to clean up my website by completely setting it up again in Muse and trying to simplifly the layout, (this was the first website that I created in Muse so I'm sure there are more efficient ways that I'm trying to take advantage of). I also wanted to make use of the mobile and tablet layout features which I could have configured on my current website but with the issues I'm having, I felt it was safer just to redo the website.

My website is www.syntelligent.com, and I'm getting the error on the Careers page.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

April

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi April,

It looks like you are including some custom HTML on your Careers page called "Smart Widget". The code that is being inserted here is causing the alert you are seeing. If this is code you created, you'll want to remove the jQuery.noConflict call. If this is external code you are including, you should let the author know that calling jQuery.noConflict is causing issues with other scripts you are using.

Also, I noticed on your site you have a very large element that I'm assuming you want to make sure it stretches to the width of the browser window. If that is the case, in Muse, you can simply resize the rectangle and drag the edges to the sides of the browser area, and snap it to each side. This will tell Muse that you want it to span the width of the entire window. You can find a tutorial for that on our Muse Tutorial site.

I'm sorry you were having trouble with updates. I would always recommend you update to the latest version of Muse so that you can take advantage of all of our improvements, bug fixes, and new features. Have you tried updating to the latest version (4.0)? If you have, and are having troubles still, would you mind making a new thread with what you are seeing so we can help get the problems sovled? You can send me a message (if you go to my profile, you can send private messages on the right hand side) with the URL to the new thread and I will help you take a look at getting things worked out.

Thanks, and I hope that helps,

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Andrew,

I have a similar MUSE+BC error

re: http://www.rainbowelectric.com/store-hidden.html

The client Rainbow Electric was designed in Muse and brought over to BC for e-commerce.

We get the following error when we try to navigate throught the shopping area after we are in the https/worldsecuresystems.com domain as you can see in this screencast I created = http://screencast.com/t/0v65UjNrzK. Please help.

• MuseJSAssert: Error calling selector function:TypeError: Cannot read property 'msie' of undefined. = the error
  • Seems to only happen when you go to other e-commerce pages when you are on the worldsecuresystems.com domain
  • I already tried removing & republishing all MUSE files but that didn't help.

MuseJSAssert_error.jpg

Please help!

Regards,

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

Currently on your page, you are loading in jQuery 1.9.1, which is currently icompatible with Muse. On your non-HTTPS pages, we load in another version of jQuery over the top (1.8.3), but we rely on our fallback code to load jQuery in because our CDN does not, at the moment, have support for HTTPS. Our fallback, however, does not work because it detects that jQuery has already been loaded. If you need to use jQuery in your page, you should load in the same version of jQuery we use, or better yet, wait for our version to load and use that instead so you aren't loading more code then needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It seems that all of a sudden I am getting this MuseJsAssert Error on one of my sites. I tried deleting and uploading all the files through CUTE FTP and I still get this error. For now it only appears on the gallery page, but before I got it on other pages as well. Can somebody explain why this is? Thank you.

http://www.sliderestaurant.com/gallery.html5-8-2013 5-57-07 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anne,

I've visited the page, and I don't see the alert. From the looks of it, you are using IE, correct? What version of IE are you using? Also, can I have you try the following. We're just going to clear the cache on your browser.

1. Go to your site
  2. Hit F12 on your keyboard
  3. In the dialog that shows up, in the menu at the top, click on Cache > Clear browser cache for this domain...
  4. Click Yes on the confirmation
  5. After that finishes, close that dialog, and refresh your page

After these steps, are you still getting the alert?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

Yes I am using IE 10, but I got this error in Chrome, as well. If I clear the cache, it cleared the error from the galelry page, but the error on the menu pages still appears. Also, it appears on and off, not on a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I see what might be happening. You have a script, BounceExchange, which is loading an incompatible version of jQuery. It will only load it if it detects that the Muse copy hasn't loaded yet, so it is a timing related issue. You should talk to BounceExchange support about how you can prevent them from loading this version of jQuery. If it isn't possible, then you might be able to prevent the problem by moving their script to the bottom of the page, instead of putting it in the header area. That said, I'm not sure what effect that will have on their script. From a cursory glance, it likely won't have issue, but that is more a question for their team on what the implications might be.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Andrew,

I will talk to them.

Best.

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error. I uploaded via Muse' built in FTP tool which gave me the errror, then I uploaded with Fetch. This exact same warnning happened on another site I updated today but after uploading with Fetch the problem went away.

"MuseJSAssert: Error calling selector function:TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'initWidget'"

Screen Shot 2013-08-06 at 4.47.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

testoftimedesign,

Do you have a URL where we can take a look at the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same type of error.  My site was working fine until i was contacted this morning and told there were errors:

error-message.jpg

After reading through this forum, and not seeing much in terms of resolution, I decided to try and rebuild the entire site.  I was able to preview the entire site prior to uploading, both in program and previewing in browser, with no problems.  However, after uploading the site, using Muse's internal uploader, I had similar errors.  My site is a design portfolio, and none of the images are visible.  My home page has an additional slide show embedded on the right side, and only the first image loads, then fades to black.

As a paying subscriber who relies on muse to create my websites, I am frustrated.  I hope that some solution is available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines