• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HOWTO: Force-update Flash Player for IE10 on Windows 8

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tired of waiting around for Microsoft to issue a Windows update for Flash Player since... well... forever?

Windows 8 ships with Flash Player version 11.3.378.5 while now we're already at version 11.5.502.146!  Adobe won't update this ActiveX control if you're using Windows 8, because apparently Microsoft has to release the update themselves.  They promised to release such updates frequently, however, it's been many months and not one update had ever been released as of yet.

Here's how you can bud in, get in there, and update the ActiveX control yourself:

1. Notice the version you have installed right now by looking at #2 on this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html
  2. Download the new Flash.ocx files (32-bit and 64-bit) here: EDIT: Link removed
  3. Copy these instructions into Notepad or similar, because you must close all running instances of Internet Explorer right now.
  4. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
  5. Right-click Flash.ocx and go to Properties.
  6. Go to the Security tab, and then click Advanced.
  7. Click Change next to "Owner:"
  8. Type the following into the box that appeared and then click OK: Administrators
  9. Under "Permission entries:" double-click "Administrators", check the box "Full control" and then click OK.
  10. Click OK and then click Yes.
  11. Click OK.
  12. Rename Flash.ocx to Flash-original.ocx
  13. From the ZIP file you downloaded you will see a folder called System32. In there, copy the Flash.ocx file to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
  14. That was for the 32-bit version that gets used.  Now repeat steps 3 through 12 for the 64-bit version which also gets used, by replacing all occurrences of "System32" above with "SysWOW64".  If you do not find a folder on your computer at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash then you actually do not need to repeat the steps for the 64-bit version, because your Windows 8 edition is 32-bit

And PRESTO!  Revisit #2 on this page and notice the new version number detected: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Granted; there are version number entries to update in the registry but I doubt that this makes any difference.  Best to leave those as-is in case an update finally comes along.

ENJOY!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Win 8 since release and I've been getting updates of Flash Player with the system updates on the second Tuesday of each month. 

I would NOT recommend downloading Flash Player from sites other than Adobe or Microsoft.  I appreciate your willingness to help, but since the link to the binaries you've provided is not office I'm removing them from your post.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2013 Jan 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris: That's odd.  I too installed Windows 8 Pro x64 since launch and have been receiving/installing all windows updates including "Patch Tuesday" of every month. In fact I just checked my update history and they all show success -- none failed.  Can you find any specific KB # of any update that Microsoft had issued which included updates to Flash?  Also, I just checked with a friend and they too have the factory-shipped version of Flash still installed while being fully-updated.

I do see the following installed as well however the actual Flash player version was still the old one:

Captureflash.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2013 Jan 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also got your instructions partially wrong:

1. System32 contains 64-bit modules
  2. SysWOW64 contains the 32-bit stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duly noted!  I still had the correct architecture in their respective folders inside my ZIP file at least! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2013 Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Campbell,

We really do not care what you are able to do with your version. Our problem is it is not updating on our systems and the one person that posts a solution you decide to edit out his response. I have also been using win 8 since release and it is still using the original version ! adfieldman, please feel free to email the link that dear Chris removed so I can update my system. wileyecoyot@gmail.com Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

haha; nonetheless Chris Campbell has a valid point about the OCX files. a malicious user could package a virus in with them. that is why he removed the link; because the files are not hosted officially by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines