• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Adobe PDF add-on in IE 8/9 after deployment

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg your pardon if this "after deployment" question is posted in the wrong forum.
I really need some help with this one.. What am I missing here?

In Acrobat Pro 11.0.01 you configure display PDF in browser (yes/no) by enabling or disabling a add-on in the browser. I want my end users to be able to select how they wish to view PDF:s. According to http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/display-pdf-browser-acrobat-xi.html there should be a add-on called "Adobe PDF Reader".

This add-on is missing on all my deployments so far!

For troubleshooting purposes I have replicated my problems when I install the product from original media without my transform and the results are the same. Am I missing some setting in the Customization Toolkit Wizard in order for the add-on to be installed properly?

On two completely clean and fully patched machines (XP x86 and Win 7 x64, english OS) I install Acrobat Pro 11.0 (english) and apply 11.0.01 patch.
In IE I select Tools -> Manage add-ons -> Show: All add-ons.

Adobe Acrobat Create PDF from Selection
Adobe Acrobat Create PDF Toolbar Helper
Adobe PDF Link Helper
Adobe Acrobat Create PDF Toolbar

There is no "Adobe PDF Reader", yet PDF:s are displayed in IE.

If I disable the four add-ons above, PDF is still displayed in IE.
If I launch IE in safe mode without add-ons ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"  -extoff), PDF is still displayed in IE.
I terminate all visible Adobe processes (Acrotray, ARM for instance), PDF is still displayed inline in IE.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll is installed, if I rename this dll (using a SYSTEM account) PDF is displayed in Acrobat Pro XI.

How do I/end users control if PDF are to be displayed inline in IE or not *after deployment*??

(In Firefox everything works as expected and I can enable or disable the Adobe Acrobat plugin to control how PDF:s are displayed)

Regards

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hh-hh,

I think that doc is slightly off . . . I'll look into the details for you.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick review of the addon display behavior in IE on various machines shows the following:

• Adobe PDF Reader may or may not appear in IE's Manage Add Ons panel by default. Why is a mystery to me, but this is also true for some non-Adobe products so it's probably some IE setting.
  • In the Show drop down list, choose another display option. The Adobe PDF Reader entry shows when I select "Run without permission."
  • You can enable/disable the add on by choosing a Display option in which Adobe PDF Reader appears.

hth,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm... I feel kind of stupid now , why didn't I check "run without permission". Thanks brogers, this answers my question!

Funny how "AcroPDF.dll" manages to "hide", I even tried to track it down using Sysinternals AutoRuns and Process Explorer without finding a trace but it never occured to me to check "run without.."

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines