• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 - fonts problems (Document fonts fight with system installed fonts, "font incomplete")

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

First, Indesign function to automatically open fonts from "Document fonts" folder is fantastic, quasy font manager. BUT, fonts is available ONLY for THAT indesign document, no other application can use it, even from CS6 suite. This is probably the most stupid decision about how this function must work. IDEALLY, fonts will be available for ALL application inside CS package until indd doc is closed. If I need some font for editing links in photoshop, illustrator I need to install them. This workflow have wrong concept.

We now have problem, sorry Indesign have problem. Example, I need type1 font mt-symbol for mathtype AND for Indesign. This font is installed in c:\windows\fonts folder. Everything work fine. When I make package from Indesign and reopen indesign indd document inside package, Indesign report that mt-symbol IS INCOMPLETE. WHY, BECAUSE CONCURENT FONTS from both C:\windows\fonts folder AND FROM "Document fonts" folder. If I rename "Document fonts" folder, Indesign open font only from system and everything work properly.

THIS IS BIG PROBLEM, fonts circles around workflow/folders and always will be duplicates in "document fonts" and system\fonts folder because different application need same fonts.

Any solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Document Installed Fonts feature is really designed for service bureaus who have to open and output hundreds of files from different clients using different versions for the same fonts, and it works pretty well for that. It is not intended as a way to skirt the necessity to own a license to use a font for editing or design work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another problem - this time with file AdobeFnt14.lst .

If I copy "document fonts" folder to new job which use same fonts id sometimes wont activate fonts from d.f. folder. I need to delete AdobeFnt14.lst file and reopen document. This time indesign regenerate AdobeFnt14.lst file and all is ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another problem with the Document Fonts folder that we just noticed: in CS5, you could place Windows Type 1 fonts (.pfm and .pfb) into the Document Fonts folder on a Mac and InDesign would activate them.

This no longer works in CS6. (Bug report filed.)

Huge bummer, as this was a great timesaver and workaround in a high-production prepress environment when working with old Windows files. Hopefully this was not an intentional change and will be restored in a later bugfix release, or at worst in CS7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put them into the InDesign/fonts folder in the meantime.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello--I can't seem to find where to place my fonts in order to access them on InDesgin CS6. (I'm using a Mac.)

I tried to follow the instructions for placing them in the administrator/library folder but I couldn't find that folder.

Can someone advise please?

Many thanks,

Atara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines