Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFX_excel - reading excel using coldfusion

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2006 Dec 07, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi everyone,
i got a form through with i upload the excel file.
these excel files are parsed through cfx_excel tags.

is there any other instead of using cfx_excel query to read the values from excel sheet?

thanks
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

baskark a écrit :
> hi everyone,
> i got a form through with i upload the excel file.
> these excel files are parsed through cfx_excel tags.
>
> is there any other instead of using cfx_excel query to read the values from
> excel sheet?

>
> thanks
>
>
You can do that witdh a datasource directly
(i don't know what cfx_excell is )

JiBé

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the filename is constant, you can set up an odbc datasource and use that in the CF administrator.
This requires Excel to be installed in the server which is a huge security hole.

There is Apache POI, which you have been introduced to. With POI and a little java skill, there is nothing you can't do with an excel file.

You can also set up an Access or MS SQL database to link to the excel file.

Finally, if the excel file is saved as CSV, it can be parsed by most DB's or you can read it in and parse it yourself.

Anyway, cfx_excel works for many people's needs.
Why didn't it work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi miker roo,
The cfx_excel tags is working fine.but iam unable to validate the header and column values.
Is there any solution for this kind of problem.
Is there any sample solution for this please post it in the forum..

thanks for your valuable infofmation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean you are unable to validate the header and column values?

Do you mean that you want the first row to become the query column name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2006 Dec 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi MikerRoo,
my first row is my header instead of excel cell header.but i overcome this problem by skkiping the first row. this is fine .
Problem
i got 3 rows each row contains 4 columns
in 2nd row 2nd column is null. instead of displaying null. it takes the next column value and displays it (2nd row 3rd column value) and the last column becomes null
i use this command

<cfx_ExcelQuery action = "read" file="#file_url#" sheet="0" variable="myExcel" />
<cfoutput>
<cfdump var = "#myExcel#">
</cfoutput>

is there any possible solution .
thanks for you valuable information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see that this is a design flaw in the cfx_ExcelQuery code.

If you can wait a few days, I will fix this, and some other bugs, in that CFX.

Can you provide me a link to the kind of files you wish to read? (You can PM me if needed.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi mike
please post your email id .
i will send my excel files to you...

thanks and regards
baskar k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. PM'd you with my email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I stumbled on CFX_Excel2Query.

This is another tag that supposedly works much better than cfx_ExcelQuery.

Since (1) I don't need this functionality, (2) The solution already exists, (3) I have other projects that are just as much fun, and (4) a valued CF developer is charging (a reasonable price) for his working tag; I will not be fixing cfx_ExcelQuery, for free, in the next few days.

CFX_Excel2Query is at: http://www.emerle.net/programming/display.cfm/t/cfx_excel2query

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2006 Dec 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into that flaw and we fixed it in our local version.

I can give you the modified .jar if you're interested.
If anyone has any problem w/ me doing this please let me know. Don't want to step on any toes.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2006 Dec 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,
thanks for your support.
We solved the problem not by changing any of those file instead
we wrote a cfscript there we generated the query dynamically.
we used those query for further process.

thanks for your wonderfull support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2006 Dec 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,
thanks for your support.
We solved the problem not by changing any of those file
instead we wrote a cfscript there we generated the query dynamically.
we used those query for further process.

thanks for your wonderfull support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2007 Jan 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi every one .
i tried to upload an excel file using apache poi.jar in my coldfusion page.
i succesfully uploaded the file buf after doing more than 10 time it shows me an error like this .
can any one guide me to solve this error

11:42:59.059 - Application Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/fusebox4.loader.cfmx.cfm : line 97
The specified Directory attribute value /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/parsed could not be created.
11:42:59.059 - Application Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/fusebox4.loader.cfmx.cfm : line 101
The specified Directory attribute value /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/plugins could not be created.
11:42:59.059 - fusebox.LoadUnneeded Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/fusebox4.loader.cfmx.cfm : line 178
The full XML load is unneeded because the in-memory copy is fully up to date
11:43:00.000 - Database Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/model/dabek/engine_f.cfc : line 512
Error Executing Database Query.
11:43:00.000 - Database Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/model/dabek/engine_f.cfc : line 512
11:43:01.001 - Database Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/model/dabek/engine_f.cfc : line 512
11:43:01.001 - Database Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/model/dabek/engine_f.cfc : line 512
11:43:02.002 - Database Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/model/dabek/engine_f.cfc : line 512
11:43:02.002 - Database Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/model/dabek/engine_f.cfc : line 512
11:43:03.003 - Database Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/model/dabek/engine_f.cfc : line 512
11:43:03.003 - Database Exception - in /apps1/WebALC_domain/WebALCQA1/WebALCQA1/cfusion-ear/cfusion-war/fb4/model/dabek/engine_f.cfc : line 512

thanks for valuable information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2007 May 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi gr8white,

' can give you the modified .jar if you're interested.

please provide me the link of the updated jar file.
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2007 May 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
baskark,

You can download the file from http://www.gr8white.com/java/javacfx.exe. (it is actually a .jar file, I renamed it to .exe to facilitate downloading it)

If you have already installed the custom tag, place that file in the same directory as the current jar file. Rename the existing one just in case, then rename the new one to .jar and restart CF.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi every one,
to read a excel i am using cfx_ExcelQuery tag, but it doesn't support blank cell..any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 09, 2006 Dec 09, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, I've used the tag and haven't had a problem with blank cells. Maybe one of our developers modified it? I'll try to get the source and post it if anyone is interested. I haven't used CFX_Excel2Query but it looks good .. seems to have richer features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2006 Dec 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We have many methods to read an excel sheet…
A. Save it as .csv & read as file (but coding is too much & if you cell have any comma separated value it cause a problem)
B. Create ODBC & than DSN inside of CF admin (it is also painful if you want to read different type of excel.)
C. There is some paid custom tag available on net (you need to pay much amount & some limitations are there)
D. Last & final method is use Jakarta POI (some already guess about it)

I use Jakarta POI…the problem is that with these POI that there is not enough material or documentation is available on net…I am lucky I did much R &D & get the solution.

With using these POI our most of requirement’s get fulfill…see the sample code to read an excel sheet without creating a DSN

<cfset fileIn = createObject("java","java.io.FileInputStream").init("#file_url#")/>

<cfset wb = createObject("java","org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook").init("#fileIn#")/>

<cfset sheet = wb.getSheetAt(0)/> //this is sheet number you can read multiple sheet..

<cfset Last_Row = sheet.getLastRowNum()>// you will get number of last row to validate number of row

<cfloop index="i" from="1" to="#Last_Row#">
<cfset row = sheet.getRow(javacast("int",#i#))>
<cfloop index="j" from="0" to="18">
<cfoutput>
<cfset Cell_len=#len(row.getCell(javacast("int",j)))#>
<cfif #Cell_len# GT 0>//to validate null value(blank cell)
<cfset cell_Add=row.getCell(javacast("int",j))>
<cfset "c#j#"=cell_Add.getNumericCellValue()>// to read numenric value
<cfset "c#j#"=cell_Add.getStringCellValue()>// to read string value
<cfelse>
<cfset "c#j#"="NULL">
</cfif>
</cfoutput>
</cfloop>
</cfloop>

Now a tip: use CFdump for wb, sheet, row you will able to see all related function.

I hope this small description will provide you enough help…if any one have any question feel free to contact me…

Thanks & Regards
Diwakar Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're interested to get the fastest, small memory footprint and easiest way to convert CF query to Excel and vice versa, you can try my custom tag:
http://www.masrizal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=idea.download_detail&ProductID=cfx_excel

Well, it's not free though :)
But it's way cheaper than our hourly rate, considering to develop this kind of rich functions will take many days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice site.
And the online livedemo (nice!) shows that your tag does solve the "null cell" problem that baskark was posting about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation