Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with merged webhelp (Robohelp 10) linking to child projects

Participant ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently upgraded from Robohelp 9 to 10.

I used merged Webhelp as outlined on Peter Grange's website. To link between child projects the hyperlink would be entered as:

../Folder/Filename.htm

Since upgrading to 10, new hyperlinks cannot be entered in this format as the OK button when inserting a hyperlink will not let you save.

Existing links still work using the format above.

Is this a change in 10 or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

A full clean re-installation of RH10 did fix this problem with not being able to enter relative paths to child projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it should work in exactly the same way. Are you saying that the OK button is greyed out or that it doesn't save what you are entering? Is your project on a local drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wont let me save. Clicking OK does not close the Hyperlink window.

It seems to want the full URL. It will save then.

Yes the project is on a local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this occur on just one project or all of your merged projects. Try creating a new project (it doesn't have to be merged) and add a hyperlink to "../Folder/Filename.htm". Is that accepted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens on all and even when i create a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it let you link to a topic inside the same project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of interest, were these topics created in RH or have they been imported / linked from Word / FM files? Also has this ever worked with RH10? If not, I think a reinstall maybe the next option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All created using RH9 and upgraded.

I've only just upgraded to RH10.

The old links work fine but i cant enter new links in that format.

Do you have RH10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and I can link perfectly OK, although I have to say all my merged webhelp is still in RH8 in a production environment. However I have run a test and that's fine. If it was a problem for everyone we'd have heard about it by now. It must just be a problem at your end. Out of interest what happens if you change one of the existing links to point to a different file in a different folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No i cant edit existing links either. Something has gone wrong. I will have to re-install.

I still have 9 on my machine. just tested it and that still works OK entering   ../Folder/Filename.htm

Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tested the Demo merge on my site using Rh10 and it was working as before.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Yes the demo does work for me as well in RH10.

However, if i try and enter a new hyperlink in the format

../Folder/Filename.htm

it wont let me save it.

Just to be 100% clear (and to appease my internal support team)  - are you able to do this in RH10?

Sorry. I've sure you've done this but need to be 100% sure...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll let Peter confirm but it does sound like from what he said that it does work for him in RH10. I also can confirm that it works for me in RH10. Could be post the exact path you are trying to use? maybe there is something in it that is causing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the demo I created a new topic and created a link to that topic.

Are you clicking the dropdown for the path and selecting File, then browsing to it or are you just typing the path in? Try browsing if you are not doing that.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't do it either way (browsing or typing the path) although it will allow me to link to a GIF file from another project. It just wont let me link to or enter another web page outside of the project.

Im re-installing it today.  I think it was originally upgraded under the login of our IT guy, rather than my own. I hoping this has caused the problem - permissions etc.

Anyway, i will report back.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold on. Your first post talked about linking to topics in child projects. Now you are talking about external links. Which of the two is it?

The fact that your IT guy applied the update should not affect anything.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A full clean re-installation of RH10 did fix this problem with not being able to enter relative paths to child projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp