• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I migrate my files and all my notes over to a new PC?

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 150 files that I read into Adobe Digital Editions, and I made notes in many of them. I need to preserve my notes. Almost all the files were free downloads (except 2), so I'm not worried about problems associated with Digital Rights Management. If I preserve the directory structure on my new PC (in order to keep the migration as simple as possible), what procedure can I follow to migrate my files and notes over to a new PC?  I trust someone at Adobe has thought about this issue.  Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this will work, but I think that if you install ADE, and then copy the directory

C:\Users\<youruser>\Documents\My Digital Editions  from the old computer to the new, you will see all your annotations etc.

The annotations themselves are in C:\Users\<youruser>\Documents\My Digital Editions\Annotations

Don't lose anything from the old computer until you are sure it is all working on the new.

Also, the old one may well be on an older version of ADE (eg 1.7.2), and the new will naturally install ADE2.0.

I'm not sure if they have changed the format of annotations at all between the two;

one reader recently reported the loss of many books when updating to V2.0. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1140605?tstart=0

There are lots of bugs in V2.0, so if you are not yet on it you may do best to keep with the old version.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

You can also run the old version by copying the ?:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions directory; no need for an install.

The only thing you seem to miss from a 'proper' install that way is association of .acsm and .epub files with ADE; which you will have to to manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks sjpt. I have Version 1.7.2, and I'm pretty sure I need to copy the XML file named Manifest too. Should I expect to import each of the 150 files manually (which is doable though tedious) or is that handled automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you copy the complete C:\Users\<youruser>\Documents\My Digital Editions\Annotations directory (all its files/subdirectories) it will include that manifest file.

I think that as long as the eBooks are in the exactly the same place on the new machine as on the old

(which may or may not be somewhere under that directory, depending how you managed the old machine)

you will find all the books will just appear on ADE on the new machine.

You may need to deregister ADE on the new machine (ctrl-shift-D) and then reregister it.

I'm not quite sure how it manages the relationship between machines and users.

I can't easily check details as I only use ADE for DRM library books, so only a few at a time. 

I only have one bought eBook, and I prefer Calibre for non-DRM books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines