• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does editing the Clipart and Samples directory paths in maker.ini work?

Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm currently working on a few issues seen when rolling out Framemaker 11 through Xenapp.  Some of the dirctory paths prove problematic for what permissions the users have, due to restrictions in place by AppSense.  I've read that the directories can be edited within the maker.ini file.

There is the global maker.ini file which sits in the application folder, and then another maker.ini for each user which exists in their profiles which should maintain any user specific preferences.  I have tried to edit 1, then the other, and finally both of these .ini files but with no change.

Below is an example of what I have tried,  however after I launch Framemaker the path never appears to change, still opening up the default directories.

Default maker.ini (with default directories in brackets)

[Directories]

ClipArt=clipart    (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11\ClipArt)

Samples=samples    (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11\Samples)

Edited maker.ini

[Directories]

Clipart=D:\

Samples=D:\

I was able to change the default directory for OpenDirOnStart successfully using this set up so hope i'm able to do it with these 2 paths.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default location is set relative to the FMHome directory (the FM installation directory)...

Can you change the setting to another relative location within the FM installation directory?

Can you create a folder on your D drive and then map to that specific folder, rather than the root drive itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried setting Templates=Clipart and Samples=Clipart but it didn't make any difference.

I've also tried your last suggestion before, setting the default directory to a sub folder in another drive but it made no difference within the application.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may make no difference, but did you try

Templates=clipart

rather than

Templates=Clipart

I've set maker.ini to external drives and network locations before (for template locations and for site dictionaries), so if you're still having issues, I'd look to your other systems and permissions for clues.

One other thing: Have you tracked down the Customizing FrameMaker PDF file?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/8.0/customize_frame.pdf

Although a v7 file, it may shed light on what you're trying to do.

Message was edited by: mattrsullivan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'll take another shot at this, and thanks for the pointer on the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines