• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing Camtasia SWF output in Robohelp 10

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to view SWF videos created using Camtasia in Robohelp 10?

I imported the video files into my Baggage folder but the video is still not viewable, even after publishing the project. I assume this has something to do with the additional files Camtasia generates?

1-30-2013 12-35-41 PM.png

I've seen earlier posts indicating that Camtasia created flash videos didn't work in previous versions of Robohelp. I'm hoping this isn't the case anymore. If anyone knows of a way to make it work, I'd appreciate the help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you tell us what version of Camtasia you are using? And what your output options were? And what the output is you are creating in RoboHelp?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Camtasia Studio 8.

These videos are being sent to me by another trainer to embed in Robohelp, which is the challenge I'm facing. If I had my way, I'd have developed them using Captivate instead. I tested a Captivate SWF and it was viewable in Robohelp. Instead, he created these in Camtasia and wants me to make them available in a help system. I did try publishing the raw CamProj myself, using custom production settings: MP4 - Flash/HTML5, video size: 1250x720, everything else left on the defaults. The results in Robohelp have been the same, as detailed above, either way.

Thanks for responding quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing part of what I asked for. Now about the rest!

From RoboHelp, what is the output you are attempting to create? I'd like to know that so I can test as closely as I can to what you are trying to do.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and one other thing. In RoboHelp, are you attempting to insert the Camtasia stuff within another RoboHelp topic or do you plan on playing it on a page all by itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to insert the video within a topic, either by using the Insert Multimedia/Demo menu option, or dragging it over from the Project Manager pod.

Would it work better create the video as its own page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for your first question, I'm trying to generate a Web Help HTML layout (not HTML5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I've sorted making it work. Here are the notes.

First, it's worth noting that while a SWF is in the mix of Camtasia created files, it's not the main file. It's just a supporting file among many others. The main file appears to be a file with .mp4 as the file extension. (I said that because with video content, the extension is really more of a container or wrapper than anything else. So other than knowing it's got an extension of .mp4, you really don't know for certain what's inside.)

So with Camtasia output, it's not as simple as just clicking Insert > Multimedia/Demo.

What I did to make it all work was to inspect the HTML page Camtasia created and copy the iframe code from the Camtasia page to the topic page where I was inserting the video. Then I had to create some folders in my RoboHelp project that matched the folders Camtasia created. After that, I added the files from the Camtasia folders to the new RoboHelp folders as baggage files. Once I did that things seemed to work just fine.

Alternatively, you may omit the steps of copying the iframe code from the Camtasia file and simply import the Camtasia HTML file and link to it so it opens as any other topic would and completely fill the topic pane.

Hope this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up going with the alternate option and just linking the videos directly in the TOC. That did work for me, and it's better for my users anyway. One less click for them!

Thanks so much for all your help, Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Captiv8r

I tried inserting a mp4 and .swf file to a topic and generating a chm output but I am unable to view the video. I have installed the RH11 trial version.

Does chm support video files or the video file can only be viewed in web Help or Responsive HTML5 layout. I got the same black screen error and I installed the Flash Player, K Lite Codec & quick time player just to rule out and check but nothing worked. I need your help and guidance on how I can insert videos in chm files.

Thanks

Sridhar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Yeah, I'm not sure why, but playing video inside a CHM seems to be more trouble than it should be. I played a bit this morning using Camtasia 8 and I seem to have found a process that works from that version. I used the "Custom Production Settings" from Camtasia 8. Then elected to use the MOV Quicktime Movie option. This caused me to have to make a few modifications in the RoboHelp topic after I browsed to and selected the resultant MOV file. I had to edit the HTML code to manually configure the playback size. I also had to configure autostart to true as well as autoplay. And, to fully view the playback controls I had to actually adjust the overall height of the movie to be taller than what I had configured it to be in the Camtasia output settings.

I would strongly encourage you and anyone else that reads this thread to submit a WishForm to ask Adobe to make the process of inserting video simpler. You do that using the link below:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The MOV option does not work for me so I have decided to go with Resposive HTML5 output for now.

I have submitted the feedback through WishForm and thanks for the information.

Cheers,

Sridhar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp