• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create a digital signature for someone else to sign.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using Adobe Acrobat Pro X version 10.0.0. 

I am trying to create a digital signature block in a .pdf document that someone else will digitally sign using Adobe Reader.  I will send the document to another person who will use Adobe reader to insert their digital signature in the blank digital signature block I created. 

I created the pdf document from an MS Word version 10 document.  I created the pdf formatted document by  using the “Save as … Reader Extended pdf … Enable additional features” path.  I created the digital signature block by using the Tools dropdown menu; selecting “Sign and Certify” and then selecting “Place Signature”.  I use the mouse to “click and drag” an area where I wanted the digital signature block to be. 

At this point Adobe Acrobat won’t let me save the document with the blank digital signature block.  It tries to force me to put my own digital signature in the block instead of allowing me to save the document and send it to my client for her digital signature.

What am I doing wrong?  I’ve successfully done this before on many occasions.

Thank  you.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should add the digital signature field before you enable the document. You can go into form editing mode to add the signature field, save the document, and then create an enabled version. The user will then be able to click the blank signature field and they will be prompted to sign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George,

Thank you for your submission. It was helpful. This allowed me to create the signature block without having to place my own digital signature in the block. However, when I send it to my client (who has Adobe Reader but not Acrobat) she is unable to input her digital signature … I’m now half-way there but I continue to pursue a solution.

Dave Armstrong

============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order for Reader to be able to sign, the document has to be Reader-enabled with Acrobat Pro (not Standard) or LiveCycle Reader Extensions. To do this in Acrobat 10 Pro, open the file and select: File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

George -- I followed these instructions exactly in Adobe Acrobat Pro X and it saved only text boxes, but not signature boxes. Is there something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alden,

Instead of "Place Signature" I think you should be using "Tools -> Forms -> Edit"; this will change the interface to a form editor.  You can then go to "Tasks -> Add New Field -> Digital Signature" to place the signature field.  When you're ready, use "Tasks -> Close Form Editing" to return to the normal Acrobat interface.  At this point you can then save it as a "Reader Extended PDF".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JP,

Thank you for your submission. It was helpful. This allowed me to create the signature block without having to place my own digital signature in the block. However, when I send it to my client (who has Adobe Reader but not Acrobat) she is unable to input her digital signature … I’m now half-way there but I continue to pursue a solution.

Dave Armstrong

============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines