Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to revert to files in a previous compile

Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH8 / RSC 3.1 / Windows XP

The complete file set for an older version of one of our helps was overwritten in error on the server where it resides. The version is still being used by a few customers.  Is it possible to revert to the complete set of files in the RH project, as they were at the time of that older compile, so as to be able to create a new copy of the help as it was at that time?

Hopefully the question makes sense.  Any suggestions and information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Joe Pollock

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out Peter Grainge’s site (grainge.org) for reverse engineering; also if it’s WebHelp output, Willam van Weelden (wvanweelden.eu) has a script for sale that can do the job too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So what got overwritten? Your output or your RoboHelp source files?

It seems that you are using source control, even if it is RSC. I admit, I've only gave it the odd glance once or twice so I'm hoping an RHC user is going to jump in...

Doesn't RHC have a administration/control interface for the source control server? Can you get a version of a specific date/time set there? Normally with source control, you should be able to retreive any version of the source by either date/time or label.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply William.  The compiled Help got overwritten, not the source.  The source files have been updated several times since the overwritten version of the compiled Help was created.   I did check out the RSC Help and still looking.    Our compiled helps have a version number in the footer but not associated with the compile in a formal sense.  I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, but meanwhile I'm checking RSC.  We've never had to think about this before and hopefully I can figure it out, at least with some assistance.

Regards,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, William, Jeff,

Thanks for your replies.   The server that stores our RH backups crashed recently so there is no backup of the author's projects from that time period.   The help is not stored on the customers system, but accessed from our server, where it was overwriten, so there are no copies living out in the wild.

The only hope seems to be getting the files off the Source Control server but my efforts so far have been futile.   I can search on the RoboSource Explorer and create a history report but still trying to figure out how to get the files.   Hoping someone with RSC can provide some tips on getting them.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2013 Feb 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't use RSC either but all source control systems have a method of reverting to the latest version or a previous version. Provided you can identify the version you want to restore from RSC it should be fairly straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff.  I will check Peter's site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reverse engineering page and Willam's solution are not going to help you. Both rely on having an output and that is what has been trashed.

Aren't the servers backed up? Surely they are.

If not then you are down to locating an old copy of the source project or accessing it via source control as covered by Willam may be your last hope.

The only other thing I can think of depends on that help being publicly available on the internet. If it is then you may be able to access a cached version via Google.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp