• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

<cfquery> caching

Contributor ,
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a sidebar item on the front page of my website that pulls a "featured pic" out of my photo gallery and keeps it there for the day.  While it's not really important when that day starts and ends (people are of course, in all different time zones), I'd like to have the pic up for 24-hrs-ish.

I started to write a complicated script to check the date and rotate the pic every day, but then I thought I might do it the "cheap" way, and just cache the query for 24 hrs.   The problem is, if I leave the page and return, I get a completely different pic.  I'm thinking that since my query is in the request scope, the caching is failing because CF sees the query name as being different.

Here's my code:

<cfquery name="FeaturedPic" datasource="#request.dsn#" cachedwithin="#createtimespan(0,24,0,0)#" maxrows="1">

SELECT    photos.pic_id

, photos.pic_file

, albums.album_url

, albums.album_name

, parents.album_name AS parent

, parents.album_url AS parenturl

FROM photos

INNER JOIN albums

ON photos.pic_album = albums.album_id

LEFT JOIN albums AS parents

ON parents.album_id = albums.parent_album

ORDER BY rand()

</cfquery>

Is my hypothesis about my caching correct, or is there something else I'm missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The code you posted shows the query to be in the variables scope, not the request scope.  Turn on de-bugging to see if you are running a cached copy or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't change any settings (shared hosting), but I can do it locally tonight on my home machine.  I'll see if I can reproduce the problem locally too.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, here's what I get from the debugging output (locally):

FeaturedPic (Datasource=cw_data, Time=0ms, Records=1, Cached Query) in /var/www/includes/cydebar.cfm @ 18:25:17.017

So it looks like it is indeed cached.  And if I close out of my browser, wait ten minutes, then open that same page back up, I get the same pic (expected).  However, on my shared host, if I close out of my browser, wait ten minutes (or so) then open the page back up, different pic.  Hmmmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caching is done at the server level.  Only so much RAM is allocated to the cache and if it gets full, the next entry kicks out the oldest one, or something like that.  This might be what is happening to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, I hadn't even considered that.  With a shared host, it's entirely possible.

I'll just live with it the way it is.  My primary goal is not to have the featured pic change with each page load, and it accomplishes that fine. 

Thanks for the input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation