• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF9 - best way to restrict file type for uploads??

LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone.

We're using CF9 in both dev and production environments, with little chance of upgrading to CF10 anytime in the near future (it's my understanding CF10 does have a way of detecting a file mimetype that CF9 doesn't have.)

What is the best way to restrict uploads to specific file types in CF9?  We just need to limit uploads to primary Office (doc(x), ppt(x), xls(x), etc.), PDFs, and gif/jpg (no bmps, pngs, etc.)

Obviously, just detecting file extension is fruitless.

Thank you,

^_^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using the unreliable method of checking the file extension.  Is there a better way in CF9?

Thank you,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about just using the accept attribute? That's what it's there for. Just something like:

<cffile

action="upload"

filefield="fileContent"

accept="application/msword, application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation, image/gif, application/pdf"

etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because according to the documentation, the accept parameter relies upon the browser to provide that information.

I'd rather detect the mimetype, then go from there.  I heard that this is in place in CF10, but not CF9.  I was hoping someone would have written a UDF for CF9.

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation