• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create text inside a path or shape in Photoshop CS6?

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a new way to fill a shape or path with text in CS6.

When I create the path I can put my text tool "over" the path & my cursor switches to a curved line through the cursor, but when I place the cursor "inside" the path it just goes back to regular cursor & if I click inside it just starts a new (regular) text layer.

In older versions as soon as I placed my text cursor inside the path it would switch to the text cursor inside parenthesis. And thus type inside the path. That doesn't happen anymore.

Is there a new way to do this?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS6 when I put the text tool inside a path the cursor now turns into a Text I beam inside a dotted circle  with arrowhead and any text typed tries to stay within the path but like other releases of Photoshop its not perfect.  Adobe  has changed many of Photoshop cursors in CS6.  Adobe does not seem to know when to leave thing that work alone they rather break things these day IMO.  CS6 is by far the buggiest version of Photoshop ever.  Is your Path a closed one ?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path is closed. And it doesn't matter if I put my cursor inside a marquee selection area or any kind of path it still wont activate text in shape cursor like it used to. There must just be a new way to do this that I cant seem to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just figured it out. You apparently have to create a "shape" layer first. Then place the text cursor over the shape layer. Now when you start typing it makes a new text layer with a new path thats the same shape as the one in shape layer built into it.

Kind a weird because it adds the step of having to go back & delete the shape layer. But hey, as long as it works I'm happy...

Thanks for the help JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ptauly wrote:

Just figured it out. You apparently have to create a "shape" layer first.

That's strange because I don't find it necessary to create a Shape layer in CS6, and I don't think JJ needs to create a Shape.

I can create a closed path, Work Path for example, position Type Tool pointer inside path to see the dotted circle pointer, click on canvas then start typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I with conroy no need for me to create a shape layer. I can use the pen tool or shape tools and just create a closed path then use the text tool with the path active.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm... No idea? I've tried every possible setting, but unless it's shape I cant place text in it...

But thanks for the help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same experience as Ptauty. Thanks for this thread.

I find that, within the Shape Tool with Paths option selected, any shape can be typed inside except a closed path created with the line shape. For some reason I can't get the "type inside path" icon (I-beam), though I can type on the path.

If I need an irregular shape, I must use the Freeform Pen tool to create a closed path.

Hope this helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is quite a while since your inquiry but I believe I have an answer to this.  I tried and it worked for me.

After you have created your closed path, load your path as a selection (Click on the dotted circle at bottom of Paths window).  Then invert the selection (Select - Inverse) and then make work path from selection.  When you type on the path it will place the type inside the path.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Years later... huge help, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines