• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I Cannot use ADE by an user-account different to the one I used for installation and authorization o

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I cannot use ADE by a windows-user-account (user 2) different to the one (user 1) I used for installation and authorization of ADE, Computer and e-Reader Pocket Touch 622 by Adobe-ID. Is the authorization and Adobe-ID connected to one windows-user-account (user 1) of the computer instead of being connected to the computer for all users on that computer? How can user 2 buy ebooks and use that ADE-Library created, authorized and being used by user 1? Adobe-Id is an e-Mail-adress of user 1.

Thanks for short help in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User 2 must register on ADE with the same AdobeID as user 1 in order to be able to access the same DRM books.

As far as I know, there is no way for a single buy/borrow of an Abobe DRM book to be shared between two Adobe IDs.

If user1 is not willing to give user2 access to his//her AdobeID, the books can't be shared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thanks for your help. It worked so user 2 now is able to "import" a downloaded eBook (url.acsm-file) by opening it to its ADE-Library. I did not try to authorize this ADE-Library because the request was "to authorize the computer" not this ADE-Library for user 2 and I had already authorized long ago the computer via user 1 though not understanding this request.

Do you know if user 2 can as well get access to the existing ADE-Library of user 1 which I hoped to be the case automatically. The ADE-Library of user 2 remained empty but I could "import" eBooks from user 1 as described above.

It seems that each user has its own physical ADE-Library so each eBook has to be "imported" from the possibly common (for both users) download folder of bought/downloaded eBooks!?

Perhaps there is an easy way to use one common ADE-Library for both users or at least to import the complete ADE-Library ebooks of user 1 into the ADE-Library of user 2!?

Thank you very much for support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is an offical way to do it. 

It's quite common for programs to seprate users in this way; a few have a choice but most don't.  (Particularly irritating with Picasa).

The following will probably work to force sharing: it may be a bit more techie than you want to try.

1. If you don't understand any of it, don't try.
  2. Backup your "C:\Users\<user1>\Documents\My Digital Editions" directory before you try it.
  3. It may give problems if you log into ADE at the same time as both user1 and user2.
  4. You may have to override sharing permissions as well to get it to work.

Details taken from default setup for v1.7.2, may be slightly different for ADE2.0.

1. Open a command window
  2. Navigate to C:\Users\<user2>\Documents
  3. rename "My Digital Editions" "My Digital Editions Original"
  4. mklink /j "My Digital Editions" "C:\Users\<user1>\Documents\My Digital Editions"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

as I am a newcomer in using a forum, I just don't see a button to enter a reply to this answer directly in the thread. So I answer to this e-mail like described at the bottom of this e-Mail to give a short summary of my positive results and my thanks to sjpt!

As I am a bit familiar with "technics" I created a symlink in user 2-folder pointing to the ADE-Library folder to be shared which I had already installed before on a globally accessible partition (i. e. not in the private folder of user 1). The creation of the symlink I did exactly as described by sjpt running cmd.exe as administrator and using "mklink" with the parameter /D for creating a directory symbolic link., not /J for a directory junction.

Now both users have access to the same shared ADE-Library. I assume as well like sjpt that they cannot use it both at the same time but that is absolutely no problem at all.

Many thanks once more for the most important information re symbolic links etc. by using the command "mklink". A very helpful feature I did not know of in detail so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines