• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I tell BC to recheck the nameservers of an existing domain?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I'm new to Business Catalyst, and I published my first site using Muse.  When I upgraded my temporary site to permanent I told BC the domain to use, BUT forgot to change the nameservers in my Network Solutions account.  When I discovered I forgot to do that, I changed the nameservers to point to the BC servers.  I half expected the change would take about an hour, but the change didn't happen.  I think I need to delete the token code found in the Advance DNS setting section, but I'm weiry to make any changes.  Please help.

Thanks in Advance,

Ron Dinoso

TOPICS
Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ron,

Typcially after adding your domain you need to go back to your domain registrar to update the NS records to match BC's.  Please do so if you haven't done so already as this can only be changed within your domain registrar usually where you purchased the domain.  If needing further help please reach out to your registrar support so they can assist in adding the updated NS records on your behalf. 

Article references:

http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/kb/change-domain-name-site.html

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1741

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1803

Hope this helps!

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sidney,

Thanks for your help. I did change the nameservers to point to the BC servers. But I did this in reverse order from the steps outlined in assigning a domain to upgraded temporary BC sites. I change didn't propagate through when I woke up this morning. I'm thinking the code in the Advance DNS setting needs updating; this section is in my BC portal.

Can I delete the BC site settings and try to setup the domain again, and this time have my registrar point to the proper nameservers first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverse order should be ok as well.  Which domain as we speaking of?  Please add the url so I can have a look perhaps it's simply not showing fully progated on your end (may be caching or need a bit more time) but I can confirm once you provide the domain name. 

Thanks,

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, my domain (danceva.net) is back to pointing to the old nameservers (ns1.pipedns.com thru ns3.*) because I didn't know how long the site would be down. I have an event that has an online ticketing order that I can't afford to be down until after the workshop this Saturday.

The temporary URL is danceva.businesscatalyst.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...

Yes I can see you added the domain which is fine as well.  Just go to your registrar and switch the NS records to BC.  Let me know once this is done so I can see if it's propagating on my end.  Most likely it's just caching which you can simply flush DNS cache once you update the NS records. 

- http://www.techzilo.com/flush-windows-xp-vista-dns-cache/

If having troubles seeing let me know once you finish updating the NS so I can verify on my end. 

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You do understand that in some cases especially with .net and .com addressess a DNS change can take up to 24 hours to apply?

You also need to understand while it may change for you in 5 hours for example other people on different ISP's may not see the change for 10 hours. It all depends on the IP's DNS cache and when they refresh this.

These things do not just flick over straight the way.

Sounds like everything you are doing is correct, you are just not waiting long enough. Since you have changed back again this will have increased your total time before you go live now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines