Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

General Installation Error, mac 10.8.2

Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the latest flash player from the abode website (for mac, safari, english). Download is fine. Installation proceeds to about 50% completion and then terminates with a "General Installation Error". Here's the configuration:

Mac intel core 2 duo 2.26 GHz

OS 10.8.2

Safari 6.0.2

I downloaded the flash player uninstaller, and it reported a successful uninstall. Also checked for directories in /Library/Internet Plugins and the (Disabled) folder. No flash player components left.

Checked pop-up blocker (it's not set), system preferences (download apps from any source is checked). Also disabled norton auto-protect. Install still fails.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

How i solved:

1. Mount the Flash Player installer .dmg file
  2. Copy the "Install Adobe Flash Player" file to desktop or any other directory as preferred
  3. Open terminal and cd to desktop or the other directory
  4. Run the following command on terminal: sudo ./Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player
  5. Insert the password when asked

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How i solved:

1. Mount the Flash Player installer .dmg file
  2. Copy the "Install Adobe Flash Player" file to desktop or any other directory as preferred
  3. Open terminal and cd to desktop or the other directory
  4. Run the following command on terminal: sudo ./Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player
  5. Insert the password when asked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked first time. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a command not found message when I tried to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get command not found message.  This is my first Mac computer and have not figured out how to navigate it completly yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2013 Oct 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I get. It still won't install.

Last login: Sat Oct 12 11:29:26 on ttys000

Curts-iMac:~ Coz$ cd desktop

Curts-iMac:desktop Coz$ sudo ./Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player

2013-10-12 11:30:36.957 Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[6300:707] Unexpected umask value for process: 0

2013-10-12 11:30:37.783 Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[6300:707] Install failed with error code: 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this same error...

Please let me know if you get a answer.

2013-10-15 23:32:33.863 Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[990:707] Unexpected umask value for process: 0

2013-10-15 23:32:34.717 Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[990:707] Install failed with error code: 1.

MacPro 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me getting same error

2013-10-16 15:10:26.241 Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[641:707] Unexpected umask value for process: 0

2013-10-16 15:10:27.119 Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[641:707] Install failed with error code: 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all this (full Flash uninstall, re-install 10.8.5 plus Supplemental, verify hidden mach_kernal at root level, Terminal Reinstall attempt, etc.) with the same result of hanging at 50% on install w/General Install Error.

Then, from a post under General Error Message when Installing Flash Player on Mac:

Having this problem on a fresh install of 10.8.2.

Thanks to @mrdredre, the solution for me was to go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, General tab, Allow applications downloaded from - make it "Anywhere".

After doing that, I re-ran the installer and it worked just fine.

Crazy that Adobe would release this new installer w/o having it signed so it works without changing this setting.

-- Alex

Switched to Anywhere and everythig installed perfectly.

Afterwards, be sure to switch back to Allow Mac App Store & ID'ed developers.

Thanks all!!

MBP 2.2GHz i7

16GB

OSX 10.8.5 w/supplement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There doesn't appear to be a solution to these particular error messages from Adobe. I have followed the guidance from Adobe.com (uninstalled and re-installed) and then followed the guidance in this forum post and others using the terminal route, all without luck. I have no Flash functionality (other than in Chrome) which is extremely annoying.

My setup is MacBookPro Mavericks 10.9. Firewall is off (temporarily). No virus software. No remnants of Flash as far as I can tell. Logged into a administrator account.

Here's the log for "flash" from console:

Dec 26 12:55:15 XXX kernel[0]: hfs: mounted Adobe Flash Player Installer on device disk2s2

Dec 26 12:55:15 XXX.config mds[55]: (Normal) Volume: volume:XXX ********** Bootstrapped Creating a default store:1 SpotLoc:(null) SpotVerLoc:(null) occlude:0 /Volumes/Adobe Flash Player Installer

Dec 26 12:55:41 XXX.config sudo[791]:    admin : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/Users/admin/Desktop ; USER=root ; COMMAND=./Install Adobe Flash Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install Adobe Flash Player –debug

Dec 26 12:56:07 XXX kernel[0]: hfs: could not initialize summary table for Flash Player

Dec 26 12:56:07 XXX kernel[0]: hfs: mounted Flash Player on device disk3s2

Dec 26 12:56:08 XXX.config Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[818]: Unexpected umask value for process: 0

Dec 26 12:56:26 XXX.config Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[818]: Install failed with error code: 11.

Dec 26 12:56:26 XXX kernel[0]: hfs: unmount initiated on Flash Player on device disk3s2

Dec 26 12:56:31 XXX.config sudo[839]:    admin : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/Users/admin/Desktop ; USER=admin ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/open http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/aih/?exitcode=11&type=install

Many thanks in advance for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried the excellent suggested solution, I received the error message:

2013-02-11 16:09:05.968 Adobe Flash Player Install Manager[1169:707] Unable to write data to file '/var/root/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/install_vector.txt'.

Once I had created the missing directory by typing the two commands:

"sudo mkdir /var/root/Library/Preferences/Macromedia" and

"sudo mkdir /var/root/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player"

then running the installer from the command line using sudo, as suggested, did work.

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variant that worked for me:

$ cd ~/Downloads/

$ hdiutil mount AdobeFlashPlayerInstaller_11_aih.dmg

$ ls /Volumes/Adobe\ Flash\ Player\ Installer/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player

<the above step was to verify the location of the installer, to use in the next step>

$ sudo /Volumes/Adobe\ Flash\ Player\ Installer/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player

$ hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Adobe\ Flash\ Player\ Installer/

(Background http://commandlinemac.blogspot.com/2008/12/installing-dmg-application-from-command.html)

Thanks all for getting me going in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines